Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys newbie here. I have a 2001 polaris sportsman 500 h.o. with some lighting problems. My high beam light does not work. I checked it and its getting no power to the plug...the switch is brand new and it never worked before putting it on. Cant find any loose connections either. I also believe my guage pod lights may not be working. Low beam lights work fine and everything else works fine. I cant figure out if there is any fuses that may go to this bulb.....any ideas? TY for any help...it is appreciated.

·
Registered
421 Posts
if the low beams work. then it could be the yellow wire that goes from the switch to the light. could be a broken wire inside of the covering or you missed a spot. the red with the yellow tracer is the power in. keep in mind im looking off of an 08 500's wire diagram. but in any case if the low beams work. its the high beam wire. some where between the switch and the headlight. i kinda doubt 2 switches are bad. are u shure theres power there. check the ground also....

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes there is no power to the plug. My reverse override went bad so it is a complete new switch. The light did not work before replacing the switch however. the grounds are all good. i tried to trace the wire coming off the plug but it goes down into a harness somewhere. i thought it would have went straight to the light swithch though. Would there be a fuse or circuit breaker somewhere i may be missing? i dont believe my lights in the pod are working either. to tell the truth i am not even sure what lights are supposed to illuminate in this pod.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok found the problem. i took off the hood cover and started jiggling the harness around and the headlight cam on. the wire had broken where it 90's from one harness to the next. butt splice and some electrical tape fixed it right up. my pod lights are even working now. one quick question though is what all lights are suposed to come on in the pod? My neutral and reverse light come on but nothing else....is there any other lights that should work in this pod? TY for any and all help i have been given. :happy:

·
Registered
421 Posts
there should be backlighting in the speedo whenever the key and the handel bar switchs are on. dont matter if its running or not. and other than that yes the n and r. there is also a light in the awd switch that lights up the awd when the 4x4 is enguaged. other than that its just the high. low, and taillight. if all that works eveything is good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lighting issue

Hi guys newbie here. I have a 2001 polaris sportsman 500 h.o. with some lighting problems. My high beam light does not work. I checked it and its getting no power to the plug...the switch is brand new and it never worked before putting it on. Cant find any loose connections either. I also believe my guage pod lights may not be working. Low beam lights work fine and everything else works fine. I cant figure out if there is any fuses that may go to this bulb.....any ideas? TY for any help...it is appreciated.
There is no fuses might want to trace your wires for a bare wire shorting the unit out.We had the same issue to find out that a mouse got up inside and chewed on some wires.

Thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts