Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a 2007 500EFI and want to upgrade the headlights..NOT the high beam tho as it's pretty much blocked most of the time. After doing some research am I correct in assuming that the replacement bulb is a GE 886?? ALSO has anyone tried these in there??
JDM One Pairled 881 894 13SMD Hyper Super White Fog Light Replacement Bulbs GE4 | eBay

it states that they are the equiv. of 80w bulbs. Any idea's?? I recently installed heated grips/thumb warmer and am looking on cutting down my wattage usage at any one time. These bulbs would almost double the light output and cut the wattage used from 100w to 26w big diff.
thanks!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If you want max light then get your self a set of HID's. I have lights similar to that on my Lexus for fog lights and yes they are white and bright but not that powerful as far as distance. The HID's are tremendous as far as powerful and bright.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The package for my xenon bulbs say 886...why would you be looking at a bulb that says it is 880 893? For $16, might be worth a try...

Sean

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other Part Number:
881, 862, 886, 894, 896,898
Interchange Part Number:
881, 862, 886, 894, 896,898

Surface Finish:
LED BULBS

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
brentlyk - they appear to be a correct fit and yes you'd save big wattage. I am thinking of getting a pair along with these for backup flood/work lites (ebay item# 271290723403), these are low pancake type so you can mount them underneath rear deck without hitting stuff below. With the watts you save on the headlight/led swap, you can power other lites and still have some savings. Let us know how yours turn out, from what i've seen on other posts here using a pic to compare existing polaris lights with the led next to them, the leds seem twice as brite, not sure about the length of light throw but one pic on site today shows about a 40-50 yard brite spot.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Take a look at the kolpin dually 3" square LED's on Amazon and shown on YOUTUBE. I mounted mine in the front brush bumper, they are crazy bright and almost indestructible. They only draw 15 Watts at 1.1 amps. $180 on Amazon.
YOU WILL FORGET YOU HAVE STOCK LIGHTS !:)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If you want max light then get your self a set of HID's. I have lights similar to that on my Lexus for fog lights and yes they are white and bright but not that powerful as far as distance. The HID's are tremendous as far as powerful and bright.
I bought a set of HID's from a supporting vendor. The first set failed while out on the trail. Customer support was great and they replaced them free of charge. Well once again out on the trail the second set failed. No thanks on the HID's. Dont think that it could be a user issue since they are a plug and play sytem. One way hook ups and dielectric grease still didnt help these.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Noticed they had some 886 compatible bulbs that use CREE LEDs...wonder how those would work out. They use more watts (I think the one I was looking at was 25watts), and cost more, but I would think they would be brighter and still cut your power usage in half.

Sean

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I contacted the person selling the 25w CREE LED bulbs, and they said they don't think they are bright enough for a headlight. That said, I doubt the 11w ones would be either.

Sean

·
Registered
422 Posts
I bought a set of HID's from a supporting vendor. The first set failed while out on the trail. Customer support was great and they replaced them free of charge. Well once again out on the trail the second set failed. No thanks on the HID's. Dont think that it could be a user issue since they are a plug and play sytem. One way hook ups and dielectric grease still didnt help these.
How was your voltage to the HID transformers? Low voltages will make them toast. Reason I know, I have a set on my GMC and have been awesome for the last 3 yrs. anyway, guys were killing kits because they never pulled the DRL fuses, as they run on a lower voltage that the regular headlights. The lower voltage killed the xformers. Most HID kits are pretty reliable these days. Not to say the manufacturer had a bad run of kits tho.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You don't want LED's in your headlights. Regardless of what they claim the equivalent wattage is, don't believe it. It's all about the lumen output and they don't list one.

I have high output projector Cree LED's in the reverse lights on my pickup for backing a trailer at night. Brighter than the factory bulbs for sure but nowhere near the light throw that you would expect.

Look for Bluhm Enterprises Brite Lite 886 replacements. Xenon bulbs that appear to be the same as the Pure Polaris bulbs but cheaper. Even the packaging looks the same. I'll be buying a pack of those to use one for the high beam since I have installed the Pure Polaris in the headlights.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Your estimation of the present crop of drop-in LED bulbs is accurate. The focused light off an LED isn't a good replacement for tungsten filament bulbs because the reflectors and lenses are designed for tungsten bulbs.

The Pure Polaris LED headlight assemblies are VERY bright lights with high and low in one assembly. I have a set on my rig. They are not just bulbs they are an engineered assembly of high output LEDs, reflectors, heatsinks, and lenses that replaced my halogen bulbs and reflectors. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. They are extremely low current, stay reasonably cool, and don't have expensive ignitors to keep dry. You will not get this performance from an LED lightbulb.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have not seen the LED replacement assemblies for the older sportsman quads...IE my 2006.

Sean

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I saw a thread where a guy replaced the rectangular lights with some Rigid E series rectangular spot-flood LED assemblies.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts