Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've built up quite a few scratches on my machine over the past few months. I was bored today so I thought I'd do something about it.

I'd heard from a bunch of posts that using a heat gun very carefully would slightly melt and smooth out the imperfections in the surface of the body plastic. So I started with my heat gun on the low setting, but that took forever. I stepped it up to high and used a circular sweeping motion to cover about 8-10 square inches at a time. It worked pretty good, but I noticed that the warning stickers were melted at the edges... Well, one thing led to another and I decided that if one sticker came off, all the warning stickers should come off and that led to using Orange Glo to remove the adhesive (worked very very well!!!) and put a shine on the plastics... Again, one thing led to another and I would up spraying and scrubbing down the whole body, seat, and all with Orange Glo. Looks better than it did the day I bought it!

I'm undecided on whether I should remove the "Sportsman 850HO EFI" and "AWD" decals on the sides and the "Touring" decal on the headlight pod. Anyone else removed those decals? Pics?

Here's what she looks like now.
photo 1.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 2.jpg

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think it would look to plain if you took everything off. Looks good as it is now, I need to get rid of the rest of the warning stickers on mine.

·
Registered
679 Posts
First thing I did id remove the warning stickers. I did remove a couple of others too. I been eyeing my wheeler in the shop at night thinking about pulling the rest of the factory stickers. I like the plain look.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'd keep the model stickers. but that's just me. I don't like the "plain" look.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Having the wife pick up some Orange Glo while she's in town as we speak. ATV needs a good cleaning from hunting season.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what is orange glo and how do you use it ?
Orange Glo is a furniture cleaner/polish. Works well for removing adhesive off non-painted surfaces.

On plastic, it acts kind of like Armor All, but it lasts longer and smells a LOT better. It'll get all the scratched-in dirt and grime off while giving you a nice shine.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Removing the warning stickers was one of the first things I did to my '02. I kept the model decals and just took the actual 'warning' decals off.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i pulled my off with a heat gun and razor. got a cpl scratches from the razor unfortunately. but looks alot better without warning stickers. i throw a cpl archery stickers on it to replace the warning ones

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
the model decals are designed to be there and look good :D

the warning decals are just there :| slapped on wherever they'll fit... I took the rangers warning stickers off within the first couple weeks XD blasted one off with a pressure washer, just packed at the other ones,
"just packed at the other ones"
What does that mean? :nixweiss:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well, I did it. I pulled most of the stickers on my XP. I left the Sportsman sticker, but the large graphic sticker, 550 sticker and the AWD sticker are gone. It looks much cleaner in my eyes. I don't like women that wear makeup and I don;t like like stickers on my car. But hey, that' just me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I did it. I pulled most of the stickers on my XP. I left the Sportsman sticker, but the large graphic sticker, 550 sticker and the AWD sticker are gone. It looks much cleaner in my eyes. I don't like women that wear makeup and I don;t like like stickers on my car. But hey, that' just me.
Ditto. I'm still on the fence on the model stickers and all... I de-badged my pickup and it looks a lot better without all those decals everywhere.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Just removed all the warning stickers except for the "No Step" one on the clutch cover. Looks much better. While the Orange Glo sure shined up the plastics :yahoocool: it didn't seem to want to take the adhesive residue off left over from the stickers. Going to resort to Goo Gone or something of that nature for the adhesive residue.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just removed all the warning stickers except for the "No Step" one on the clutch cover. Looks much better. While the Orange Glo sure shined up the plastics :yahoocool: it didn't seem to want to take the adhesive residue off left over from the stickers. Going to resort to Goo Gone or something of that nature for the adhesive residue.
I sprayed it on the leftover adhesive and left it there for a minute or two. Then scrubbed off with a terry rag. Came right off. Did you use a heat gun to remove the stickers? The residual heat may have helped the Orange Glo remove it.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Yes I did use a heat gun on the stickers. Peeled off pretty easy. Will find a terry cloth and let the orange glo set on there longer than I was. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Yes I did use a heat gun on the stickers. Peeled off pretty easy. Will find a terry cloth and let the orange glo set on there longer than I was. Thanks.
Goo B Gone will get the adhesive if the orange glo doesn't

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
:sly:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts