Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there one out there for a 2013 XP?

I've got a Groundhog Max disc that I use for wildlife food plots. Using a disc is one of the main reasons that I purchased a new ATV with more hp than the Kawasaki that I also have. That being said, the groundhog max disc puts upward pressure on the hitch instead of tongue weight and there is no way that the factory receiver would last over 2 minutes.

I've started looking for an aftermarket 2" receiver to mount it to and I'm not finding anything that looks like it's made of anything sturdier than a beer can, just like the factory unit. Does nobody make a hitch for these things capable of holding up to something worse than hooking a little red wagon onto one?

I love the ride and power of my new 850 but the more that I look for accessories and see the prices of the ones that fit Polaris machines (like the lock & ride stuff you have to use), the more :motz: I'm getting.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have seen a few guys have made that looked better then the stuff I have seen available...

Try giving Thor a call... he may know something.

CW

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent him a PM but I haven't heard anything back from him. All that I see on his site are the readilly available ones that look like they're made out of sheet metal and spot or skip welded.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have been thinking about making a 2" receiver hitch using a piece of 3/8 plate instead of 1/4" and weld the receiver tube to that and u bolt plate to frame tubes.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't even seen one made out of 1/4" plate yet. Most of the appear to be 1/8 or less.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
IMHO, 1/8'' is PLENTY think if properly welded & built... Remember you only have 1000/1500# towing capacity...

1/4" is WORLDS overkill on a ATV... 3/8'' is plain ridiculous... Class III/IV receiver, towing up to 10,000# is built from 1/4'' thick stock...

CW

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, but it is not towing that I am concerned about. It is upward loading on the hitch.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have this one, Its really strong and stiffens the rear of the machine quite a bit. There is even one review stating that it works great with a groundhog MAX Plow. I honestly think this hitch is the best on the market, anything more is gonna be way overbuilt. Unless you do something really stupid, you're not gonna break it. It bolts on very easily to with large 1/2" hardware. (Large for an ATV anyway)

Kolpin 85195 Polaris XP 2010-2011 2" Receiver Hitch : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have this one, Its really strong and stiffens the rear of the machine quite a bit. There is even one review stating that it works great with a groundhog MAX Plow. I honestly think this hitch is the best on the market, anything more is gonna be way overbuilt. Unless you do something really stupid, you're not gonna break it. It bolts on very easily to with large 1/2" hardware. (Large for an ATV anyway)

Kolpin 85195 Polaris XP 2010-2011 2" Receiver Hitch : Amazon.com : Automotive
I like that one but unfortunately it doesn't fit a 2013 model.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
From what I see there it works with 1 1/4". OR 2". I here what they said but I also know what I see and it sure like to me like its BOTH. As a matter of fact he is using the 1 1/4"" receiver on the video! That's the 2" sticking backwards!

Here is another idea for you. Draw up what you would like and send me. If I can make it for you you pay materials and shipping and ill make it for you.

CW

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I see there it works with 1 1/4". OR 2". I here what they said but I also know what I see and it sure like to me like its BOTH. As a matter of fact he is using the 1 1/4"" receiver on the video! That's the 2" sticking backwards!

Here is another idea for you. Draw up what you would like and send me. If I can make it for you you pay materials and shipping and ill make it for you.

CW
Yes, it works with either one. I run the 1 1/4" on my Kawasaki. Nobody offers an aftermarket 1 1/4" Polaris because it comes factory with an 1 1/4" receiver, albeit lightweight for this application. The leverage and upward force from the disc would bend the factory hitch.

Why won't the kolpin fit a 13? No difference from 9-13. I had to go to the 11 listing at Dennis Kirk to get the one for my 12.
It very well might but I can't find anywhere on the net that says that particular one will fit a 13. Kolpin seems to have quit updating any info for Polaris past the 11 models. Here's one that looks different that is supposedly also made by Kolpin: Kolpin 2in Reciever Hitch 85195 Polaris Sportsman 850 EFI XP W EPS 10 11 | eBay

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I found out yesterday that the Moose style receiver will not hold up to a Groundhog Max disc. It pulled the disc about 10 feet before the hitch folded like a cheap suit, contrary to what I was told by multiple retailers. :rant2:

I specifically bought this machine for more hp for using impliments and now evidently nobody makes a hitch that will hold up to anything more abusive than hooking a little red wagon to it. Even common sense says that a mounting bracket should be made of material that is at least as substantial as the receiver tube that is welded to it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nothing like a 77hp "utility" machine that can't be used for utility.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Could you take the bent one to a local welding shop and have them beef it up.....or if they are like mine they will redesign it to where it works.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably so. I've been looking at it this evening. Not sure if I want to back it with 3/16" plate with some gussets or back it and weld in some tube supports that reach up into the frame under the seat and attach.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts