Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to research an issue with my wheeler. It is a 2001 Sportsman 400. Last summer it started overheating when a friend rode it. I have taken the fan off and tested it (works fine) reinstalled the fan, and jumped the connecting leads to the temp sensor (closed loop) and the fan came on. So I replaced the temp senor at the bottom half of the radiator hoping to correct the issue, but it got hot again, and started overflowing out the top hole of the overflow container. What am I missing? Is there a themostat to replace that would be the issue, or another problem alltogether? Thanks all in advance for your help and comments!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Don't know if this will help but when I bought my 09 Touring I only had bout 20 miles on it and it started overheating. Took back to dealer and all turned out to be just a loose relay for the fan. My fan still worked intermittently, once relay pushed in it was fine. Maybe could be something simple

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks canderson...I had to leave the garage when I found out it wasn't working again...(time to cool off, no pun intended) I'll go back out and double check the connections again...appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Welcome!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone...any ideas? Could there be a fuse in there somewhere that I am not seeing...I've looked everywhere.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
You check a few things.
Air bubble in antifreeze
Stuck thermostat
Bad mechanical seal
Bad water pump

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the ideas,,,,where is the thermostat located, and what is the process for getting the air bubble out? I work on my own stuff, but this is a new area of expertise for me....
Thanks dudes!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I work on my own stuff to mostly cars and trucks but getting better at quads, air pockets will cause kind of a cavitation effect not letting coolant flow, all I usually do with car is let them cycle and try to squeeze the hoses to kind of "burp" the system to the reservoir. Now I believe I am doing this right if anyone has better ideas let us know, I will be the first to admit I learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have found the problem!! After replacing the temp sensor and the thermostat, I was going in to visit my Polaris dealer to found out about the impeller pump on the side of the case. (That was going to be my next project to determine the problem) anyway, ran into a friend who by chance was having the same problem a week ago, he simply replaced the radiator cap and all was well. So, long story short, I replaced the cap and voila...it works great..who would have thought...Hope this helps others with the same problem, and a big THANkS to all those who posted ideas or comments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts