Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

Been lurking on the board for a few days, reading about the various Polaris models offered for ATVs. This forum has been a very valuable resource already, and I'm looking forward to helping contribute.

This past Saturday, my wife and I waited no longer, and purchased our first ATVs.

Hers:
2014 Sportsman XP 550 EPS Sunset Red

His:
2014 Sportsman XP 850 EPS LE Pearl White

Are there any dealerships online that offer discounts on Polaris parts? In the Harley world there are several brick and mortar dealerships that offer 20% off on genuine HD parts online. Hoping I'm not at the mercy of Polaris for full price!

The dealership will be delivering the ATVs and trailer Wednesday. The 550 was still in the crate. Another advantage is that we saved considerably on the sales tax by having them delivered too.

I've been active on several forums before, and I know every good thread has at least one picture, even if they're cell phone pictures!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Hello and Welcome.
From the pictures it looks like you bought them at Sun. I may be wrong about that, but if you did buy there, they should give you 10% off all accessories you buy there. That's what they did for me. However, check out rockymountainatv.com or motosport.com for accessories first. Sun, and I'm sure most all other dealers, make their money off of accessories and service departments, so seldom will you find your best prices there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and Welcome.
From the pictures it looks like you bought them at Sun. I may be wrong about that, but if you did buy there, they should give you 10% off all accessories you buy there. That's what they did for me. However, check out rockymountainatv.com or motosport.com for accessories first. Sun, and I'm sure most all other dealers, make their money off of accessories and service departments, so seldom will you find your best prices there.
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

We actually bought them from Fay Myers. We had been looking at another dealer in Colorado Springs, but despite their claims to be one of the largest Polaris dealers in the western region, they had no 550s in stock.

The overall purchase experience was pretty great. No pressure and the price negotiations went very smoothly. We both felt like they treated us right.

We have plans for this weekend, but the following, we'll be finding some trails somewhere closer by to become more familiar with these machines!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the new ride

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome to the Polaris world! I think you made a smart decision in your choice of machines.

A few suggestions if you don't mind:

Since you are new to the ATV world, you may want to try to hook up with a local club or riding group; it's a good way to get your feet wet and have some experienced people around to help you, to learn from, and to ask questions of.

Be sure to take extra water, food, warm clothes, rain suits, etc., with you, even on "short" rides. You can travel a long distance in a short amount of time and the elevation changes can take you from a nice warm situation to cold and wet within minutes.

My wife and I carry a copy of each other's key on our own machine's key ring. Figure the chances of losing both sets of keys out on the trail are very slight.

If you ride in an area you're not familiar with, you probably should try to carry a map. Some areas have a number of interconnecting trails and it's easy to get lost.

I believe a search of this site will produce threads concerning what things to consider carrying with you for problems on the trail such as a tire plug kit, a small compressor, a CO2 tire inflator, some wrenches, pliers, etc.

Safety equipment is a MUST. My wife and I are firm believers in wearing helmets, gloves, long pants and shirts and good shoes or boots.

Finally, purchasing a Polaris shop manual (not a Chilton or some other brand) is a very good investment, even if you don't do your own work. There is a wealth of info in them and just reading through them will help you to understand your machines a lot better.

AND...read the owner's manuals that come with your machines. There's a lot of good info in them also.

ALSO...take lots of pictures if you can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the Polaris world! I think you made a smart decision in your choice of machines.

A few suggestions if you don't mind:

Since you are new to the ATV world, you may want to try to hook up with a local club or riding group; it's a good way to get your feet wet and have some experienced people around to help you, to learn from, and to ask questions of.

Be sure to take extra water, food, warm clothes, rain suits, etc., with you, even on "short" rides. You can travel a long distance in a short amount of time and the elevation changes can take you from a nice warm situation to cold and wet within minutes.

My wife and I carry a copy of each other's key on our own machine's key ring. Figure the chances of losing both sets of keys out on the trail are very slight.

If you ride in an area you're not familiar with, you probably should try to carry a map. Some areas have a number of interconnecting trails and it's easy to get lost.

I believe a search of this site will produce threads concerning what things to consider carrying with you for problems on the trail such as a tire plug kit, a small compressor, a CO2 tire inflator, some wrenches, pliers, etc.

Safety equipment is a MUST. My wife and I are firm believers in wearing helmets, gloves, long pants and shirts and good shoes or boots.

Finally, purchasing a Polaris shop manual (not a Chilton or some other brand) is a very good investment, even if you don't do your own work. There is a wealth of info in them and just reading through them will help you to understand your machines a lot better.

AND...read the owner's manuals that come with your machines. There's a lot of good info in them also.

ALSO...take lots of pictures if you can.
Thank you 08Touring for the advice.

I've been all over Colorado (and the rest of the US) on a touring Harley, and it's a huge passion of mine. I am finding that many of the things I've learned doing that will transfer well in to the ATV community too.

I do most all my own wrenching, so I'll be picking up the service manuals. If they're comparable to the Harley service manuals, I'll be very pleased.

As for meeting up with fellow ATV riders, we've got some good friends who ride and will help to make our acquaintance with the sport. We're firm believers in the gear as well, so that will be first and foremost. I know as we progress, we'll meet new people and share experiences.

I'm good with maps and have a great sense of direction, but that's no substitute for an excellent GPS, especially in the mountains! As we plan on ATV'ing all over Colorado (and elsewhere hopefully), I've been researching various GPS units for sportsmen applications. There's plenty of information on this site about that too.

Again, thank you for the advice and the welcome!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Welcome, and hope you and the wife enjoy your new rides

1 - 10 of 10 Posts