Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to polaris forum, have rode hondas all my life but looking to buy a super low mile 2002 sportsman 500 ho remington se, looks brand new with only 500 mile,
i really like the nice ride of the polaris. my question is how reliable will the sportsman be. i mainly just trail ride with some mud.

any comments is appreciated

thanks

jt

·
Registered
505 Posts
My buddy has that exact same one. Bought it brand new in 02 and has no major issues with it yet. In fact he has had less go wrong with his compare to my 2011.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Welcome form the North and you can't go wrong with that 02

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have an 02 500HO also...I am very happy with it....starts right up...has enough power for me..I been plowing with it all winter...its great on the trails here...some nice mountain trails...take a day an clean all electrical connections an add some dielectric grease to them an you will be good to go...it seems the most common problem is electrical with the age...also grease it good..there is a ton of fittings...

Also i was just told there is no drain on clutch cover..and was told how to Mod it...drill a hole in the bottom and tap it to fit a cap that goes on a battery cell...it has a O ring on it....so that way if you get water in clutch area you can drain it...I am going to ceramic paint the exhaust this spring..you will enjoy it....its a nice ride...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I got the 05 500 HO sportsman 6000 miles, one torn boot (tree branch) and a set of tires and still have it for a spare wheeler

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Great 'auto' transmission quads

sure they can develop issues, but so do all the other brands. Mainly change your fluids (and read the owners manual on maintenance), especially the engine oil/filter. Only use a name brand Full synthetic oil, my favorite is Shell's Rotella T6 (5-40), its meant for the dirtiest of engines - diesels-to keep 'em from developing excessive carbon. I recently changed the oil on my 4runner, i had been using either mobile 1 or castrol and they both would come out pretty dark brown, not black. When i drained the rotella (at 5K), it came out a golden (darker then it went in of course) but golden see thru, now that is an oil that didn't shear. Shear is what kills the quality of oil. Its cheap at walmart, like $22/4 quarts. Change your oil/filter (i like wix or puralator) at least every 1000 miles (I like 500) and ride it HARD! Enjoy! :cowboy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts