Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here from Downeast Maine. I just bought my first atv. It is an 06 Sportsman HO EFI. Got a small plow for it to do my dooryard/drive. Was a bit of a pain installing the adaptor plate (mid mount) but that's done. I've got a 48" cycle country plow. Would have preferred the 60" but someone gave me the 48" blade so I just bought the adaptor plate and pushtubes. I have a 2000lb winch that came with the machine but was not installed.

Is it true that my machine was wired from the factory for a winch? Need to hook that up and the switchgear on the bars.

Anyways, like everyone else I'm looking forward to spring and some trail riding. I am lucky enough to have a network of trails that were old railroad tracks (Sunrise trails system) that is only 2 miles from my home. These connect to other trail systems throughout Maine. Won't be long now!

Forum looks good and lots of info. I'm just looking to maintain and maybe mod my machine with a few upgrades that are tried and true.

:veryhappy:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Greetings Zodiac,
you in Hancock or Washington cty? I was born and grew up in Blue Hill. Now live in Gorham. I too just bought my first wheeler....a 05 700 sportsman. Mine did not have a winch, so I bought a superwinch at Cabelas at Christmas time. All the wiring was there. I just needed to move it around a little and buy a bracket.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greetings Zodiac,
you in Hancock or Washington cty? I was born and grew up in Blue Hill. Now live in Gorham. I too just bought my first wheeler....a 05 700 sportsman. Mine did not have a winch, so I bought a superwinch at Cabelas at Christmas time. All the wiring was there. I just needed to move it around a little and buy a bracket.
Hiya HW,

I'm in Washington county, the Machiasport area. Yesterday, while installing the adaptor plate, I noticed a wiring harness with a winch label. I had just run the switch to the batt and winch to use it for lifting the front end up with a beam in my garage. Made it easier to work on for sure but the intructions consisted of a grainy photograph with an arrow pointing to "front of vehicle". While not rocket science, it was still a bit of a pain due to the left side floorboard needing to be "moved" in order to get the U bolts over the frame. Then of course I notice )after the fact) that the front U bolts are longer then the rear. and why with the spacer the nuts won't catch. :ponder: Anyways it's on now and the pushtubes are assembled. Just need to order some shoes/skids for the blade.

Did you run a handlebar switch for your winch?

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeah, I put the toggle switch on the handle bars. My winch came with a wired remote but I didn't bother to hook it up. I mounted the contactor on the bracket over the right front wheel. I had to remove it and "re-fashion it" to accept the contactor that came with my winch as it was bigger and wouldn't fit. Can you hop on the Sunrise T from your house? Now you can run to Ellsworth to go shopping!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I can get to the Sunrise T in about 2 miles from the house. :). Never been south on it but sure will come Sprang time!

I've got to mount the switch tomorrow and find a place for the solenoid. Could skip the solenoid but then winch works without the key on and I'm not sure about that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
like I was saying, my 700 had a shelf above the right front tire / shock where I mounted my contactor / solenoid. My solenoid was a little large, so I removed the shelf and bent it differently and remounted...worked pretty good but had to re configure it.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
like I was saying, my 700 had a shelf above the right front tire / shock where I mounted my contactor / solenoid.

To the OP, welcome to the forum :shakehands: Maine is some of the best riding in the northeast and coastal ME is some of the prettiest coastline in all if the East. You have the best of both worlds!!

Like hunter is saying, that's where I have the contractor mounted on my 500. It fortunately has a rubber mud flap because it gets a little messy under there from time to time.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah, I'm quite fortunate being just 2 miles from the Sunrise Coastal trail system. From it, I can get to several of the others and just about anywhere in the state that the trails run. Really looking forward to checking them out this Spring/Summer/Fall. My 500 E
EFI "Pepe" is chompin at the bit.

I thought about possibly mounting that solenoid in the rear little box back there between the tail lights to keep it a little better protected. It's close to the battery but will require a hole for the wiring. I'm gonna look at both places this weekend and get it done.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I got a book from Maine Fish an Game at a sportsman show..it was all the ATV trail systems..I was surprised how many they have...even southern Maine...I had a summer place up near Dresden/Bridgton area..Pleasant mountain..was on Moose Pond...there was nice riding there....I dam near got lost once..lol....till I met some kid riding..asked way out...great country mountain riding....I use to ride above jackman on the paper mill land..was 100's of miles of logging roads an skidder roads....thats god's country up there

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Al,

There's a ton of those papermill roads up off of Rt 9 (The Airline) between Bangor and Calais also. That's excessable from the coastal trail in a roundabout way. I got alot of years of exploring to do. :) For a retired fart like myself, it's all about the ride and not particularly any destination.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a late season Nor"easter up here yesterday. Pretty good blow and about a foot of snow with allot of drifting. First chance I had to try out the new plow and runva winch I installed. Amazed at how well it plows! Thanks to the guys for the advice on solenoid mounting. It fit right on that plate like it was made for it! My drive is a good 100yds long and the snow was just rolling off the plow like a wave.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wild Weather

Zodiac,
this is weird stuff for March 26! That must have been a well defined line cause I spoke with my son last night who goes to school in Castine and he said MMA closed down and they only ended up getting an INCH of snow...one of my buddies called from Blue Hill last night and he only got like 2 inches and apparently the other side of Ellsworth got nailed! I guess you are just lucky huh? Another foot of global Warming!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah seems like the coast here in Washington county got the most. Your son must be in the Maritime Acadamy? Very cool.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts