Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new member, have a question for you all! I just bought a 2009 xp 550 and ever since the day I got it the rear drive axles or something seem to be clicking sounds kinda like plastic on plastic happens more in the soft snow or when the rear tires get loose but still it does it all the time.. Also she really clunks hard when i shift her in and out of different gears..

So please give me any and all advice possible! I took it to the dealer and he said it was normal but the service guy changed one of my axles and that did not take care of the problem!!

SO HELP!!
Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Check the Ball joints. Theres been a recall on the ball joints, check with the dealer, have him run the VIN to see if it is on the recall list.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you I have to ask did you notice any of that on yours before the ball joints were done? Or did you even have them done?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i can run your vin# for you in the dealer site to see whats up on the ball joint thing for you if you dont want to contact your dealer. if you think its coming from the rear...make sure the drive shafts and CV joints seem nice and tight. the clunch when shifting is pretty normal, and should start to diappear once the clutches wear into each other

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can run your vin# for you in the dealer site to see whats up on the ball joint thing for you if you dont want to contact your dealer. if you think its coming from the rear...make sure the drive shafts and CV joints seem nice and tight. the clunch when shifting is pretty normal, and should start to diappear once the clutches wear into each other
Ya that would be cool just let me know when you can do it and ill send it to you!

Thanks

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Ya that would be cool just let me know when you can do it and ill send it to you!

Thanks
anytime, i can run it from my home computer. if you want you can send your vin# in a PM...only takes a couple minutes to run it. will be around for a few more minutes then will be back tonight in a few hours. ill run it as soon as you send it. can do it tonight no prob though

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks
anytime, i can run it from my home computer. if you want you can send your vin# in a PM...only takes a couple minutes to run it. will be around for a few more minutes then will be back tonight in a few hours. ill run it as soon as you send it. can do it tonight no prob though
pm sent

·
Registered
205 Posts
I got lucky it wasn't manufactured in the months recalled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya i guess mine is not under recall either, but man I would like to know what the hell is clicking back there! Thing runs awesome just clicks drives me nana's!! I wish someone else would make me feel better with the same issues..

·
Registered
369 Posts
What was your machines build date. Some of the early models had, I want to say a rear axle, or drive shaft issue or something like that, and it seemed to effect a lot of the first models released. I seem to recall the simptom of the problem was some sort of clicking sound. I am not sure that it was ever made into an official recall.

·
Registered
601 Posts
How about taking it to another dealer like i did...one dealer said nothing wrong...even though it was clunking and clicking......Other dealer road tested it for 1 min and found that the axle was bad....so you might have a lazy dealer....its not uncommon .....Muddie49

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
How about taking it to another dealer like i did...one dealer said nothing wrong...even though it was clunking and clicking......Other dealer road tested it for 1 min and found that the axle was bad....so you might have a lazy dealer....its not uncommon .....Muddie49
so sad, but so true

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I don't know. I have never heard a clicking sound on my 850. How many miles do you have on it?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I also was thinking maybe its the ADC control...from what i've heard that the system can and will throw out a clicking noise thats annoying...Muddie49

·
Registered
21 Posts
clicking

my buddy has got 550 before the recall date and so do i both have clicking rear axles his dealer replaced them under warranty my dealer finds nothing wrong go figure?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
my buddy has got 550 before the recall date and so do i both have clicking rear axles his dealer replaced them under warranty my dealer finds nothing wrong go figure?
Dang! I spoke too freaking soon. I heard a clicking yesterday while hooking up my freaking snow plow to my quad.

Going to put the quad on the lift over the weekend and listen to it a little harder to see where its coming from.

Glad I got the extended warranty on my quad just in case.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi all new member, have a question for you all! I just bought a 2009 xp 550 and ever since the day I got it the rear drive axles or something seem to be clicking sounds kinda like plastic on plastic happens more in the soft snow or when the rear tires get loose but still it does it all the time.. Also she really clunks hard when i shift her in and out of different gears..

So please give me any and all advice possible! I took it to the dealer and he said it was normal but the service guy changed one of my axles and that did not take care of the problem!!

SO HELP!!
Thanks
I had the same noise awhile back on my 850. The dealer changed both axle assys. and said the noise was coming from the bearings that had too much slack in the housing. New assys. have corrected the problem. Sounded like marbles or rock's rolling around in a can when you accelerate. Aggravating noise but never did break down with it. Run's great now. This is just a guess what may be your problem. Let me know how you make out getting it corrected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same issues, especially when I take off, it sounds like the freaking rear end or tranny is coming out. Then when I get up to about 20-25 miles per hour the quad is just plain noisy. I Took it back to polaris and they tell me it is normal noises because the transmission and cluth is sideways now and behind the rider, so you will hear it more. Like you said the clanks and clunks drives me crazy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts