Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure what fluid go's in this part of the engine case or even how to fill it,my oil was low so would that mean those gears inside are fed by the engine oil?
Was playing in the snow and noticed oil leaking the next morning on start up lost about a half my oil. I filled oil back up but nothing came out that empty hole,maybe its a baffle type system? Any help would be great!

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Looks like the drain plug for the clutch cover to me but hard to tell. Is it located on the rear of the machine? if so it does not have any oil in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clutch drain is a red screw. This picture is the vent tube on the other side if i blow air through the tube it comes out the hole and motor oil comes with it.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Your pics and description sucks.

Do you mean the engine oil plug?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, the engine oil plug is on the bottom. This plug is on the back of the engine and no its not the transfer case. When I look in the hole there is a set of gears. It must be feeding these gears from the engine oil. Im sure someone who has had these 850 engines apart will know and chime in on how this system works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your referring to where this hole is its in the middle when you look under it from the rear of the atv. If you look at the one picture you can see just off to the right is the oil filter hole

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help guys! FYI it's an oil drain plug for the main drive gears! Part number 3234755

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Soooo transmission plug?

None of the oil "shares" anything....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Soooo transmission plug?

None of the oil "shares" anything....
Funny when the plug came out motor oil came out of the oil all over the ground checked the oil and sure enough a full litre lost. There are passages and screen of some sort that bleeds oil(splash type) onto those gears. That scimatic shows this drain plug under main oil system because it is a splash type system that feeds those main gears! Look where the hole is its attached to the back of the motor and when the quad is full of oil and you move it it feeds the gears with engine oil until its full, that's why if you blow air through that tube that the hose is off the air comes out the hole and if you take the oil dip stick out and blow some air in there the air and oil fills the back cavity with motor oil or in my case runs on the ground cause the plug came out for some dumb reason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts