Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hmmm:

My 550 EFI Sportsman is not running right. It sputters and has the engine light on and I can't go faster than 5 mph. Something is wrong. So I ran the DTC from a post on this site but I do not know how to read it. I posted it below.

Here is some background....I rode Hatfield and McCoys last year and I had a lot of dust pass through my filter into my engine. It was doing the same thing as it is now, sputtering. I had my dealer check it and he said that there engine was dirty. 6 months last and maybe 100 miles on the ATV and it is doing it again. Can anyone help me try things before taking it to the dealer?

It has a new K&M air filter bought after Hatfield trip BTW.

See video for what DTC I'm receiving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found the code in the display (see pics). Throttle issue. I just giggled the cable a little bit and the light went off. Should I replace the cable or anything in there?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It sounds like your throttle cable might be out of adjustment. Adjustment procedure is listed in your owners manual. A relatively easy and free first step to address issue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Even if the throttle cable has the right amount of play, there could be a little too much grit in the cable and cause it to go off. I might try replacing or lubricating the cable.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, I just use WD-40. I use my atv primarily for mudding, so I lubricate the cable after every ride, if you don't do it as often it might be better to get purpose made cable lubricant.

I replaced the cable once, but I go mudding so grit constantly gets in the cable, so I gave up and just flush it out and lubricate it after every ride.

But with mudding, it increases the maintenance required 10 fold. I grease the wheel bearings every 50 hours (which requires to take the hub and axle off), and grease the zerks after every ride, change the oil/filter every 50 hours, clean the K&N air filter, etc... the moral of the story is if you want to mud, then it is important to learn how to do your own maintenance, otherwise you will pay a fortune to the dealership.

Also it couldn't hurt to check your TPS setting as if it is off it can trigger limp mode, you can either check it with a multimeter or, if you have a nice dealer, you can have them plug your atv in to check it, if they're nice they might even do it for free.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
they sell a tool for oiling cables...works great...they also sell cable lube...WD-40 would be a bad choice..its gums up in time which may cause cable not funcioning right...

the tool to lube cables Motion Pro Cable Luber - Motorcycle Superstore

I use this tool to lube cables ...and I use a cable lube with teflon ..it will clean and lube cable track inside....its like 7.99 at most bike shops...

wd 40 is a water dispersant at most...attracts dirt an dust bad..gums up ..

if your mudder or submariner..your cables should be lubed frequently...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts