Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I am having issues with my 2010 Sportsman 500 HO. What i thought was a dead battery is turning out to be something more... i would get a start out of the machine, shut it off, then nothing. I would jump it with my truck and it would start.

I replaced the battery with the farm and fleet suggestion, Duration Extreme with AGM technology Model 14AHBS. After installed, all i get is a click. the lights do come on however. I jumped it with the truck, still nothing but the click. The motor does not turn over. I changed out the fuses as well. The books mentions sonething about resetting the circuit breaker, but it does not tell me how to do that, or where the circuit breaker is...

I have other things that need to be done to this machine, but i need to get it running first. Does anyone have any advise or things i can try? Is this replacement battery even the right battery?

Thanks all!! I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
The click indicates the solenoid is operating, but the solenoid may not be connecting internally. Do as polman suggested - connect the positive jumper lead to the starter motor side of the solenoid and hold the negative jumper to a convenient point on the engine to test the starter motor (there could be a fairly good arc when connecting and disconnecting the jumper lead, so don't be startled - pick a connection where an arc mark will not be visible or cause damage).

When you installed the new battery; did you charge it before use? A battery needs to be activated when filled with acid and if purchased filled with acid, did the seller activate the battery? It's always a good idea to charge the battery with an automatic 1.25 amp charger until fully charged.

Another thing you could do is check the battery voltage before and when turning the key to the start position. A fully charged battery should read about 12.8 volts and when cranking the engine should not fall below about 10.5 volts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Same battery 2 months ago, same symptoms when I went to start today. Mine has sat idle for a month but is on a maintainer. I tested my battery and am getting 10.8 volts. Junk Battery. I filled my own and charged it as directed by manual. Going back to cheap lead acid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your help !

I put a trickle charger on for two days, reinstalled the battery, and still get just a click. I put a voltage meter on, the voltage is at 12.2, so everything looks good there. And then took your advice and ran the positive jumper to the starter, and the ground to another piece of medal ( got a nice arc as instructed :)), and still just a click.
I believe that tells me that my starter is junk. I am thrown off as to why I was able to jump my previous battery and get a start, but not this battery. I suppose it is possible that that was the last start that the starter had in it, but that would be quite a coincidence.
So would you all agree that I should start shopping for a starter, or is anything else I should be ruling out?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Another test would be to tap the starter motor with a plastic hammer or screw driver handle and try again - if the engine spins and does not repeat, then you just got the last gasp out of the starter motor and if it does not spin over, as a final test - remove the spark plug and see if the engine will turn just to verify the cylinder is not hydro locked

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sooo.... with the previous battery, when I tapped on the starter motor I would get a faint sound as if it was trying to turn over. I don’t get that since I put a new battery in.

What will I be looking for when removing the spark plug and trying to start the atv? Should I be getting more than just a click

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
If liquid (like gasoline) has leaked into the cylinder it will at the least raise compression increasing the resistance the starter motor has to overcome and at the worst, the cylinder could be full of liquid (which will not compress) and the engine is hydraulically locked preventing the starter motor from turning the crankshaft -removing the spark plug eliminates compression making the engine easy to turn. My guess is the starter motor needs replaced.

·
8,739 Posts
Yeah, you can check that the engine is not full of fuel just to make sure. But from your description it sounds like starter problems.
If you jump 12 vdc directly to the starter terminal either from the on board battery or another one with booster cables and if it don't turn you need a starter.
Also, 12.2 volts is NOT a fully charged battery. It should be closer to 13 volts when fully charged.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
About 12.7v plus is 100% fully charged on a 12v battery. 12.2 means the battery is about 60% capacity charged. Actually I have a 12v blue top Optima battery I've had for several years that will show 12.9v fully charged on volt meter,but it's a bad battery, it will not pass a load test.

Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts