Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2004 700 EFI,, and I took her for the first ride yesterday, I was driving slow around the woods and I went WOT up a hill and she just bogged,, I couldnt get it up over half throttle, I turned it off and started right back up and Brapp no problem!! Runs fine,, I think it happened maybe 2 more times like that! Then I was in a open field riding pretty hard and two times it just died,,,I mean stopped liked I turned it off,,Again key off starts right back up and its fine!!!?? I think I rode for another hour with out another issue,,, Does anyone know what might be the issue? Or what I can check? I have no check engine light coming on? Everytime I have the issue I just restart it and it fine,, Very weird,,, thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My first guess would be a bad or fouled plug, second a bad or wet electrical connection.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd look at the simple (free or cheap) stuff first..... as it's usually good maintinace anyways!!

First check the thottle cable adjustment, than as Kevin stated replace the spark plugs and check electrical connections. For the electrical connections disconnect, dry out with compressed air and than apply dielectrical grease and reconnect.

Edit: Another thought, the fuel injectors / fuel system may be gummed up a bit..... wouldn't hurt to run a dose of SeaFoam through it!!

Should be able to check and do these maintinance items for $10-15 or less....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya ill think ill start with all those options first!! Like I said earlier,,, When ever I have a issues, all I gotta do is just restart it and instantly its fine,,, I also might need a little more seat time to see if I can pin point exactly whats going on after I try some of these options,, I know the guy I bought if from really didn't use it much and it was stored inside So it could have old gas and maybe gummed up? What is and where can I get this sea foam? Is there another option I can use like a fuel injector cleaner?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Seafoam is availble at Walmart and most auto parts stores. I also like Lucas Fuel injector cleaner but lean towards Seafoam. I usually put in a couple of ounces with each fuel up, especially if I'm running water. You may want to add an oz or two per gallon of fuel to clean up your system intially. Then run it occasionally at a lower dose for maintenance....It works great for keeping water out of your fuel system.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Yes, any "quality injector cleaner" should work. SeaFoam is just such a product, usually can found at any auto parts store or hardware store.

May not be a bad idea to dump the fuel in the tank, add new and an injector cleaner. A set of plugs may also be a good idea. I'd also check the air filter.

When I get a new (to me/used) machine I like to perform a complete fluids service just so I know.... I'll usually change Engine oil, oil fiter, tranny and front diff. I'll than "top off" the brake fluid and test and top off the radiator coolant.

This way I know when it was done "for sure".... not the previous owners idea of what you want to hear!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Its gonna sound crazy, but you may want to check the pins in the electrical plugs on the throttle body assembly.
Its extremely possiable that you may have a broken pin, or a less than snug connection.
pulling the plug connections and carefully observe the pins ,signs of corrosion, broken wire or pins.

What you have described is exactly what happened to my dodge ram.. new electrical everything no fix
a new mechanic found a 25Cent pin broken on the TPS in the wire harness.

Best of luck ,electrical problems can be like chasing a ghost..at night ... blind flooded in a foggy bog.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Bogging might be water in the system. Dying completely is another thing. Does it have a large keychain? Some guys have had problems where when turning, the keychain would bind enough to turn the machine off.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good call!!:hmmm:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check and see if the engine is throwing any codes. May be connection on your T-bap sensor. Code 41 and 45 will come up if that's the problem

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bogging might be water in the system. Dying completely is another thing. Does it have a large keychain? Some guys have had problems where when turning, the keychain would bind enough to turn the machine off.
had this happen..

fluorescent duct tape on a smaller ring ...in case I lost it...cheap and much better

1 - 13 of 13 Posts