Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2005 Predator 500 last week. So here's the deal. It was bought 7 years ago from an auction. The guy never touched it just sat in his climate control garage. It looks brand new. It hsd some wires cut which I rewired. It is missing the pouch with the inline fuse near the solinoid. But wire was bypassed. So here's what I've done. New battery. New spark plug with correct gap. Cleaned all hoses and took apark carb and cleaned jets 3 times until were clear. ATV has good compression. Try to start it and it just crabks and cranks until finally battery dies. All I got a couple times was a backfire so I checked to see if plug was fouled and wasn't. My question what's next? Possibly valves too tight from factory? Bad solinoid? Will it not start because of the pouch with fuse bypassed? Ahhh I'm so frustrated don't know what to do next??? Please help asap and thanks so much for any input!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Well well i would start by putting a new fuse back in a pouch its a safety deal so you dont burn everything up

no too start i would check the slack in your throttle cable, because thats the cheapest starting tool after that, i would check into the woodruff key see if its spun or sheared off.

From there if your still having issues check the valves and see if the lash is right....

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I assume after sitting that long you cleaned the carb cand the fuel system, checked air filter and intake for obstructions, and have checked for spark

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for quick responses. Yes I have fully taken apart and cleaned carb 3 times and the whole fuel system. All jets cleaned. New spark plug with correct gap and yes I can see it firing. I can also see the piston moving in the cylinder head with plug out and I notice the plug is dry does not smell like gas at all. Would the piston still move if it was the woodruff key or flywheel broke? Also motor will not start on ethter(just trying to start it) but I can hear compression stroke through exhaust and can smell ethter from exhaust. Any input? I checked throttle cable and no issue there.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
So carb is clean, is there fuel getting to it? Open the drain screw on the bowl and see if anything comes out. But that doesn't fix the won't fire on ether problem. It has spark, you gave it fuel, so then compression and timing are next. Do a compression test on it and see what that is. Hearing it doesn't mean it's enough to run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes fuel comes out of drain when i open it. Ok I will do a compression test tomorrow and let u know what it is. Thanks again for any and all help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a 2005 Predator 500 last week. So here's the deal. It was bought 7 years ago from an auction. The guy never touched it just sat in his climate control garage. It looks brand new. It hsd some wires cut which I rewired. It is missing the pouch with the inline fuse near the solinoid. But wire was bypassed. So here's what I've done. New battery. New spark plug with correct gap. Cleaned all hoses and took apark carb and cleaned jets 3 times until were clear. ATV has good compression. Try to start it and it just crabks and cranks until finally battery dies. All I got a couple times was a backfire so I checked to see if plug was fouled and wasn't. My question what's next? Possibly valves too tight from factory? Bad solinoid? Will it not start because of the pouch with fuse bypassed? Ahhh I'm so frustrated don't know what to do next??? Please help asap and thanks so much for any input!
I’m working on one with similar problems done all the normal checks every thing checks out good compression carb good plenty of fuel good spark but start wtf

1 - 15 of 15 Posts