Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm new to the board. I just picked up a 1999 250 Trail Blazer.
And i need help.. :)
I have a Haynes manual but that has been little help.

My brakes are acting wierd. I know the front lever controls the two front calipers and onr rear piston.. Right?
and the brake pedal controls the other piston in the rear caliper.. right?
do the two braking ( front and Back ) systems work together any where in the system.

Both systems have no resistance when pressing levers.
But when i push in the rear pedal the front lever becomes hard and the brakes work great.
And when i let go of the rear pedal and pull in the front lever the rear pedal becomes hard and the rear brake works great..

Or i can pull ( push ) both at the same time and they both go half way and brakes are great ... HUH??

Got me confused :sad:
Any one know what is going on anf how to fix it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have the same quad as you but i have no brakes in the back and made my front brake not work cause of bad rear caliper i clamped off the hose that leads to the front from the rear caliper and i have brand new front brake these quads from what i read suck......there is diy split brake conversion on another forum but my quad really never had rear brakes so i am going to disable my rear brakes till i get new seals for my caliper u problem dosent sound exactly like mine just thought i would share my expierience with you

·
Registered
505 Posts
The rear brake uses two pistons but they are stepped. The rear brake acts on the end of both pistons and the hand brake acts on the steps.
Only possible place the two systems could affect each other is in the rear caliper. It contains two stepped pistons, four piston seals and two o-rings(between caliper halves).
Not sure if it's possible but here's one scenario. Low fluid levels in brake reservoirs. Using either brake pushes on rear pistons. When pistons move it sucks fluid from the other brake line and reservoir allowing air in.
First thing I would do is check brake fluid levels and bleed the hand brakes. Next I would bleed the foot brake. Reservoir under seat. Bleeding the foot brake can be a bitch if master cylinder has air in it. The reservoir is remote from the master cylinder and air gets trapped in the line between the two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi
I'm new to the board. I just picked up a 1999 250 Trail Blazer.
And i need help.. :)
I have a Haynes manual but that has been little help.

My brakes are acting wierd. I know the front lever controls the two front calipers and onr rear piston.. Right?
and the brake pedal controls the other piston in the rear caliper.. right?
do the two braking ( front and Back ) systems work together any where in the system.

Both systems have no resistance when pressing levers.
But when i push in the rear pedal the front lever becomes hard and the brakes work great.
And when i let go of the rear pedal and pull in the front lever the rear pedal becomes hard and the rear brake works great..

Or i can pull ( push ) both at the same time and they both go half way and brakes are great ... HUH??

Got me confused :sad:
Any one know what is going on anf how to fix it?
Did you ever get that problem fixed? I have a '99 Scrambler 500. Changed the rear caliper and now cannot bleed. When I squeeze the front brake lever, the reservoir for the rear brake fills up. When I pump the rear brake lever, the front reservoir fills up. I have zip tied the rear pedal down, and then I get hard brake lever on the handlebar, same thing in reverse if I lock the hand lever and pump the pedal. They are two separate systems, so I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Did you ever get that problem fixed? I have a '99 Scrambler 500. Changed the rear caliper and now cannot bleed. When I squeeze the front brake lever, the reservoir for the rear brake fills up. When I pump the rear brake lever, the front reservoir fills up. I have zip tied the rear pedal down, and then I get hard brake lever on the handlebar, same thing in reverse if I lock the hand lever and pump the pedal. They are two separate systems, so I don't know what to do.
@Tinindian - You should have just started a new thread, but the front and rear systems are not totally separate. What you have is an internal leak from the small part of the piston to the larger side of the piston. When you operate only one brake lever, the pressure simply passes from one camber to the other chamber and relieves the pressure to the reservoir of the other master cylinder. When both brakes are operated, the pressure of one system is prevented from relieving to the other system. You should also be able to feel pressure increase on one lever as the other lever is operated. You need seal kit 2201385 @ $60, install the new seals, bleed the system and the brakes will work normally again provided there is no damage on the pistons. If one of the pistons is damaged, then you need a new caliper (AFAIK replacement pistons are not available) 1910691 @ $280.
Polaris 1999-2000 rear brake system.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Tinindian - You should have just started a new thread, but the front and rear systems are not totally separate. What you have is an internal leak from the small part of the piston to the larger side of the piston. When you operate only one brake lever, the pressure simply passes from one camber to the other chamber and relieves the pressure to the reservoir of the other master cylinder. When both brakes are operated, the pressure of one system is prevented from relieving to the other system. You should also be able to feel pressure increase on one lever as the other lever is operated. You need seal kit 2201385 @ $60, install the new seals, bleed the system and the brakes will work normally again provided there is no damage on the pistons. If one of the pistons is damaged, then you need a new caliper (AFAIK replacement pistons are not available) 1910691 @ $280. View attachment 136066
Thanks so much! That is helpful. I do appreciate that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts