Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm new to the site - I have a 99 Polaris 300 explorer that makes an squealing/screeching sound somewhere from the front of the machine. It makes the sound sporadically when the machine is in motion. Often the sound starts when the machine is warm/hot. I ran the machine this past summer and at the end of a 2-hour ride the noise was happening alot.
I just brought the machine to a local ATV repair guy and he drove the machine for 1/2 hour (30 degree temperature) and could not recreate the noise. The front wheel bearings are tight, and the brakes are new all around. This machine is chain driven and are all at the right tension. Had some minor work down to the clutch. Tough to fix something when you don’t know what’s wrong. I’d appreciate any suggestions or comments.
Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is the squealing related to engine RPM? Is the noise happening while you are moving and/or stopped? I'm not familiar with that machine; is it liquid cooled? If so, I may suspect an issue with the fan.

·
Registered
129 Posts
try checking heat shield and exhaust

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Ill bet one of the bearings are going bad in one of the chain eccentrics, usually the one on right side in front of motor, there are 2 bearings in each one , have had one go bad on my 425. is it 2 wd or 4wd?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Plymouth Roadster

Thanks for the reply, the noise only happens when the machine is in motion - no correlation to the machine rpm, as it happens sporadically, sometimes under load or coasting down hill off the throtle. The machine is liquid cooled, and the atv repair guy checked the fan.

Russ C

Thanks for the reply, I wondered about a bad bearing in the chain eccentric -but the atv repair guy seemed to dismiss it. It would seem to make sense as that's in the area of the noise. It would also make sense that the bearing would make more noise as it heats up. It is a AWD. Big job replacing the bearing?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Have to loosen center and front chain, take off sprockets, remove cinch bolts then pull eccentric out right side, can you jack it up ,get all 4 wheels off the ground then turn the rear tires and here it ?Mine would kinda squeal then click, the thing is if thats it, it will only get worse. If I remember right there is a washer between the bearings that was gone and caused one bearing to fail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for taking the time to share your information - I'm going to be jumping on this as soon as I can - keep you posted on the results. Thanks again Russ C.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts