Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to clutch my 2007 Sportsman 800. I've bought a Dalton Primary spring which is good for tires up to 27". I've also have a EPI Sport Utility Clutch kit for 27" tires. The EPI kit comes with 1Primary spring, some weights and a helix and spring for the secondary. I was planning to use the Dalton Primary spring instead of the EPI one (due to it looks better and heavier than the EPI one) would any one reccomend this? I thought you want a heavier spring on the primary for engagement? I'll be riding mostly trail (60%) and some mud (40%) and will be running 27" Outlaws 1 skinny wide combo? Can someone shed some light on this situation? On the Dalton website it states just use the Dalton Primary spring cause the polaris clutches are good to tires up to 27". Is it a good idea to mix and match the two? The springs look the same, but the Dalton seems a bit heavier? Thank you

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry the EPI Sport Utility Clutch kit came with 2 Primary springs. One is pink and the other is gold. The Dalton spring is the DPSS O/BL Primary spring. It looks exactly like the gold EPI spring, but might be a bit heavier (few grams or so) so I'm thinking I could swap it out and use it instead of the gold one?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Somewhere there is a chart that shows how hard the springs are.
Dalton makes engagement rum rise with about 350 if i remeber right.

But primary spring is the easiest part to swap if you are unhappy.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The epi kit is designed to be run together. You can certainly try the Dalton spring, but no way to know how it will run without knowing the spring rates and seeing the weight profiles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts