Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help !! Hand Warmers / Heated Grips overheating. 2009 Sportsman 850 XP Browning Edition. Getting 13 volts to grip on right side with switch off. (both switches test good w/ meter) Also getting 4 volts to left side grip with switch off. ( separate switches for each grip ) Can anyone tell me where to find what control's the voltage to the grips ? I think this is where the problem lies.
Thanks in advance. Lakeman007

all wires are good in the headlight pod. resistor or diode ??? where is it located ?

·
Registered
630 Posts
do you know the brand of grips? some have a control unit to regulate temp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are factory heated grips from Polaris. Part of the Browning Camo edition. seperate (hi - low - off ) hand warmer switches build into the headlight pod. I have a service manual I downloaded and printed out but, its so small I can't read the wiring diagram even with a magnifying glass. any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Lakeman007 not many replies on this post ! must be a tough one !! :)

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Help !! Hand Warmers / Heated Grips overheating. 2009 Sportsman 850 XP Browning Edition. Getting 13 volts to grip on right side with switch off. (both switches test good w/ meter) Also getting 4 volts to left side grip with switch off. ( separate switches for each grip ) Can anyone tell me where to find what control's the voltage to the grips ? I think this is where the problem lies.
Thanks in advance. Lakeman007

all wires are good in the headlight pod. resistor or diode ??? where is it located ?
My guess is they are wired wrong. Switch controls voltage by connections to the grips, should be battery voltage to the switch (your 13 volts), resistance is in the grip element itself.
Two switches - one for the grips and one for the thumb warmer - off, should be off. Look for a wiring diagram and check your out.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The chassis / incoming 12 volt + should go to the center tab of the control switch , the other two switch tabs go to the high and low wires on each heater .

The only way you would have power at the heaters with switch off is like Phil wrote - they are wired wrong or the switches melted internally .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am the original owner of quad. The quad was never touched for wiring. Only had a Dealer change drive belt. About a year ago, I was using heated grips and they started burning my hand. I turned the switch to off and it kept burning my hand. I flipped the toggle switch hi/low/off a couple times and the grip heat finally shut off. Now, it won't shut off at all. I Thought it was the switches - but it's Not !! Now when I had it apart, I tested the both switches and they both tested good. (with meter ) I then put meter probes into back of wiring harness plug -- and found I had 13 volts to center terminal (which is correct ) ------- but I also had 13 volts to both the "hi & low" terminals in the back of the wiring harness Plug ( they are seperated in the wiring harness plug) - that connects to the spade terminals sticking out of back of switch. (Note: this is with the both Switches removed )
Both switches tested good, and I also tried left switch to right grip swap and it still getting 13 volts. I'm not sure if they are feeding power into the switch and then going to the hand grip or they could be feeding to the grip first and then going over to the switch and going back down -- the power has to go thru a resister to cut voltage down and it shouldn't be anywhere near 13 volts. Remember- the left side is only 3.2 to 4 volts ( Hi to Low ) But the left side grip power is NOT shutting off with switch either !!! thanks guy's !!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Unplug the center wire on the switch , check for power at the heater , if you still have power then the wiring harness for the heater is melted/fused together .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Right hand grip heater is still getting 13 volts with the switch out of quad sitting on bench. ( which means the grip is still getting 13 volts with no power coming from the center (power feed wire ) for the switch. So power wires must be fused some where down below headlight pod. I still need to find the resister that limit's the power on that feed wire. I'll keep at it when I can. My family had 3 death's this past week and I'm going to be tied up with all that. Thanks for all of your help. I'll post again when I can get some more things checked out. Thank you for all your time and help !!! I appreciate it. Lakeman007

·
Registered
488 Posts
Resistor wouldn't be the problem { if yours has one , not all systems use one } , if the resistor failed it would be open and you would have no heat .

·
Registered
630 Posts
You need to get in there and follow that wiring back to the grip heaters, see if there are any relays in the system or just wires going to your switch. look for melted areas in the grip harness as you back track.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I'll dig into the wiring down near the engine. The wiring is all good up to the grips. thanks for your help . much appreciated. Lakeman007

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on heated grips overheating !! I stopped at my local dealer and the mechanic tried to find the wiring diagram for me on his computer. He looked up Polaris 850 XP wiring diagram. He couldn't find the heated grips on any of the diagrams. He said that he would have to contact to get the diagram. He spent over an hour looking diagram to diagram and it wasn't there for him. Then he mentioned that the wires could be shorted before coming up to the grips. When I realized that the machine could burn down my garage and because I don't have the time, I decided to take it in and let him fix it ! I also ordered new grip heaters and new grips so he can put them on and get everything working. Guys, thanks for all the suggestions and help !! much appreciated. Lakeman007 ps: 4 death's in the family in 10 days left me with no time to fix it !!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I thought one switch was for the heated thumb throttle and the other controlled both grips, but than again what do I know since I don't have your model.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The grips are an accessory would be separate wiring diagram.
Let us know what he found with old grips!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why would left and right be on seperate switches?Doesn't make sense.When I installed mine both are on the same switch.Wierd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on heated grips overheating !! I stopped at my local dealer and the mechanic tried to find the wiring diagram for me on his computer. He looked up Polaris 850 XP wiring diagram. He couldn't find the heated grips on any of the diagrams. He said that he would have to contact Polaris to get the diagram. He spent over an hour looking diagram to diagram and it wasn't there for him. Then he mentioned that the wires could be shorted before coming up to the grips. When I realized that the machine could burn down my garage and because I don't have the time, I decided to take it in and let him fix it ! I also ordered new grip heaters and new grips so he can put them on and get everything working. Guys, thanks for all the suggestions and help !! much appreciated. Lakeman007

·
Registered
257 Posts
Why would left and right be on seperate switches?Doesn't make sense.When I installed mine both are on the same switch.Wierd.
It didn't make sense to me either. The Browning Edition (at least my 2012) comes standard with heated grip & thumb throttle. There's one switch for the grips and one switch for the thumb throttle. My first though was the OP had a bad switch for the grips and was confused about the two separate switches, but he seems to be sure there's a separate switch for each grip???

He mentioned the grips were still heated even after removing the switch so I thought maybe he removed the switch for the thumb throttle. I think if there was a short and the switch was removed it would blow a fuse. I don't understand how a short (with switch removed) would send current to the grips. Let's see if we get a follow-up.

·
Registered
488 Posts
He mentioned the grips were still heated even after removing the switch so I thought maybe he removed the switch for the thumb throttle. I think if there was a short and the switch was removed it would blow a fuse. I don't understand how a short (with switch removed) would send current to the grips. Let's see if we get a follow-up.[/QUOTE]

The three wires going to the switch are the incoming + and the power going out to the high and low elements in the grips , if the wires short / melt together it sends power to the grips , it wouldn't blow the fuse because it isn't shorted to ground .

·
Registered
257 Posts
The three wires going to the switch are the incoming + and the power going out to the high and low elements in the grips , if the wires short / melt together it sends power to the grips , it wouldn't blow the fuse because it isn't shorted to ground .
I just don't know how that happens with the switch out of the circuit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts