Polaris ATV Forum banner

HELP im at the end of my rope

4K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  jjones3569 
#1 ·
i have a 2001 TB250, i have fire fuel and compression and it wont start, have replaced CDI, stator, rev limiter, new piston, had it bored cleaned carb svereral times thoroughly and still nothing! it will bust over if you spray chemtool through the carb but wont actually run, what am i missing im at my witts end! running out of patience and $$$

#2 ·
What do you mean "it'll bust over"???? Start,pop,run for a bit??? More info needed.

#6 ·
There's a slash mark on the case and a slash mark on the stator plate, if you lined those up, timing should be spot on. Besides, specs is 30 degrees BTDC @ 3000 grand, so tht's out 'till you get it running. You can check the pulse air gap at the flywheel- .016"-.040", most people set at .020"

If you've got fresh gas, good fflow to the carb., and PILOT jet is clean. should start.
If squirting a lil oil down the cylinder doesn't help,did you try putting your palm across the air inlet of the carb. when cranking it? , just to see if you are getting any kind of vacuum, the crank seals do wear out,and intake boots too and not seal,this is a piston ported engine and i hope it's installed correctly.

#10 ·
Could you try another spark plug,(new one) I've had good one's that wouldn't fire in the chamber,but sparked laying on head. Have you checked the exhaust?? Just to test, remove the exhaust and try running it for a sec or two. Boy, this is a weird one.

#11 ·
reno i have bought no less than 4 plugs checked the exaust to make sure it wasnt obstructed and it was clean i dont know it has me stumped, im just wondering if there is a wire grounding out some where or something. the only thing i havent changed is the voltage regulator which shouldnt have anything to do with it not runnning im running out of ideas. could something be bad on the flywheel causing it to misfire??

#12 ·
What kind of plugs???If your getting spark I don't think it's a grounding problem. I don't believe the crank is the problem . What is your dealer situation???Some of these factory guys are on top of things. I'm stumped!:motz:

#14 ·
have drained the tank and put fresh gas in it we can spray berrymans thru the carb w the filter off and it tries to run as for our dealer here its a joke i know people who have had there atv/bikes there for months without being touched. im stumped myself, guess im left with takin it in and hopin its fixed by next summer

#15 ·
sounds like a fuel issue if it runs when you spray an aerosol in the intake. Don't think you answered the other quest that if you manually choke the carb with your hand does it run or is your hand wet? If your hand doesnt get wet then you def have a carb issue. Also forgot to ask have you checked the keyway for the flywheel? that would bring it out of time.

#17 ·
Just another thought. Is the flywheel the stock one??? I've read on here they make a couple different ones that are just a bit off. Again , what brand of plugs are you using?? I haven't totally given up yet!!!

#20 ·
Never did say, if he rechecked the piston install, dimple on piston, either should face the exhaust or passenger side

#22 ·
Have you checked all wires for the ignition circuit make sure all grounds are clean also check to make sure the coil is bolted tight I had a 03 tb that the bolts loosed up causing it to misfire really bad and stall out. With 150psi compression and no piston cylinder damage it has to be fuel or electrical related. How was the head gasket? Do you have the manual? I would check the stator and coil resistance again its possible you got a bad new one.

#23 ·
I think you said you did this, but did you try starting fluid. The wifes Sporster wouldn't start, I had everything, spark, gas. I sprayed starting fluid in the carb as it fired up for a second. I found that the coil was bad, I had spark but not enough, the fuel was smothering the spark, but not the fine mist from the staring fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.