Polaris ATV Forum banner

HELP!!! Im new to 4 wheelers and need help to get it to start.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lateburd 
#1 ·
My parents Bought me A old piece of trash polaris xplorer 400 2000 for about 400$ off of craigslist. Me and my dad have spent alot of time working on it and replacing faulty parts. so far we have...

1. bought a new battery and installed
2. bought a new solenoid and installed
3. bought a new started and installed
4. bought a new pull start and installed
5. bought a new coolant tube to the engine as the person before us had replaced it with a combonation of PVc and rubber.
6. used JB weld on a few holes in the engine that were leaking coolant.
7. drained the gas left in it.
8. we have checked the compression before and it was perfect.
9. replaced the pistion head gasket.
10. rebuilt the carborator
11. cleaned to air filter
12. replaced the spark plug

Thats all i can think of right now. so far as to trying to get it to start it will crank but it wont start. after a few hours it will but will kill after a few seconds. any help will be EXTREMELY appriceated. weve dissconected the kill switch and that didnt work either. PLEASE gimme some help here as weve tryed everything.

See less See more
#2 ·
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

#4 ·
Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly.

#5 ·
Although you checked compression and installed a new piston head gasket (is that a new piston or a new head gasket or both?), you have done some things that concern me. Plugging holes to retain coolant is not wise unless you know the reason for the hole being there. If the water pump seal is leaking and you plug the 'weep' hole, then you may force coolant into the counter balance drive gear case. A few holes leaking coolant? And fixed with JB Weld - that's not a fix, it's not even a Bandaid - that's worse than a Alien mechanic fix.

You say the compression was "perfect" before working on the engine, so why did you replace the gasket? And what is "perfect" compression? Now, on a two stroke engine, crankcase compression is as important as combustion chamber compression. I suggest you have the crankcase tested for compression. Perfect is 7 psi for 7 minutes, but if it holds 7 psi for longer then it's more perfect. Acceptable is 5 psi for 5 minutes. Marginal is 3 psi for 3 minutes. It may start and run at 3 psi for 1 minute, but performance will be affected.

So give me a number - what was the compression before the engine work and what is the compression after the engine work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.