Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 08 trail boss 330.....i knew that reverse did not work,but when i gave it to my daughter after riding for about 30 minutes we noticed some sort of smoke or stem coming from around the top of the engine,it does not smell like oil.i also noticed that if i pull the start cord out it seems to blow out some steam,and the pull cord seems to have some sort of fluid on it.........can anyone tell me what i might be dealing with...........i tested this atv out myself for a good half hour or so before i purchased it and it never did this.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The fluid in the recoil starter is probably water, my 500's recoil was always filling up with water because its not sealed well. As for the steam, it could be water, that after 30 minutes the engine got hot enough to evaporate it. Check and make sure that none of the tubes are broken and dripping on it. The fuel line go next to the engine and as such I have had to replace a few fuel lines on mine, so I wouldn't rule that out. It could be coolant, but it is unlikley.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the Board!:med:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think this model has coolant......it looks like it has 2 oil lines coming from the cooler to under the oil filter area......any idea where i can find a diagram showing me what everything is?thnx

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Sounds like a small valve cover gasket leak to me..... but it it doesn't smell like burnt oil???

This machine is only oil cooled.... so it shouldn't be steam, unless it's from exterior condensation???

In my search for a second machine, I've read that the 330 oil lines are proen to leaking at the fittings.....

I'd check the oil level and continue to ride it..... my old Honda 350 (air /oil cooled) would do something similar on occation, but I never found a leak and it continued to run and perform. So I chaulked it up as "a mistery of science"!!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
If the handle on the recoil rope is not put on right it doesnt seal and rain ,snow ect can get into recoll housing, did you take the whole housing off and see what kinda mess is in there?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts