Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my first quad and am wondering which one to go with? (or neither).

2006 Sportsman 700 EFI with 249 miles, mint condition, no plowing, no mud, stored inside.

2010 Sportsman 500 HO with 127 miles, sporty upgraded wheels, and mint condition.

I have talked with both parties and the lowest they will go is $4250.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Either of them have winches, bumpers or other aftermarket add-ons that would increase its value?

With new 500s going for under 5K I'd be hard pressed to pay in the 4's for a 3.5 year old used one with only new rims and tires. I'd say go with the 500, since I think they make a great 1st quad, but I'd get him under 4K unless it has a bunch of other upgrades. Just my .02, good luck.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Like I said on your other thread.....500 all the way.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I had a 2006 700 efi and it was a great machine. I would go with the 700.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Problem with buying a used Polaris is that they hold there value. Kinda like a jeep wrangler. It took me three years to finally find a used polaris for the right money. Your best bet is to buy a new one. A 2002 500 ho can bring as much as 3,750.00. I myself would only pay 2,200.00 for one. But guess what? Good luck. $3,700.00 is my max dollar on a used unit.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
All our situations are different, but I would spend $2k more and get a 570.

As to your choices...hard decision. The 700 has world's more power than my 500 and 550. But newer should mean less problems. If the 2010 500 was EFI, I would say go with that...but since its not, I would probably go with the 700 after a thorough inspection. But that is close to average retail in my area. So if this is being sold by a private party, I would work on the price more.

Sean

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I think I will go with the 500, and if it doesn't work out I can wait until a better deal comes up. I have more time than money. :) We'll see how it all shakes out and keep you informed.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Good luck! I hope you enjoy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts