Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I tore into the clutch on my 01 Scrambler 400X. It looks like it may have had some changes made to the primary spring but I am uncertain if that is the case. As far as I know the only mods other than the 39PWK Carb I installed is a Hot Seat Performance exhaust.

The weights are S55, the primary spring is a solid dark blue, with no identifying stripe or other markings. The secondary sheaves has "TEAM" cast in it.

Engagement comes at ~3600 RPM and shift out is ~6400.

Few questions for those who know these machines best. I really appreciate the help as always.

1. Is this the stock primary spring? If not, which spring is stock? What is the rate on the dark blue spring?

2. If I wanted an engagement at ~4000 and shift out ~6800, which spring would be best for this combo? What are you running on a trail machine that has been piped?

3. Did these machines come factory with TEAM secondary clutches?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
S55 I believe are a hot seat weight, or maybe something from about a 98-99 xcr440. I would bet their spring too, but no way to know for sure. Going to have to get the spring measured for poundage and go from there I think. They were good for changing out the secondary to a team roller back in the day. Once you know the rate you could raise the start and finish rate by about 20lbs each. Or just put in 1-2g lighter weights and not worry about the spring.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I have contacted HSP/Speedwerx and they have identified the blue spring as a 60/200. Based on this knowledge, I will likely be going with an HPD red/yellow which is 107/226, or an EPI PATV16 100/200 to bump up the engagement RPM.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You only need 15-20lbs tops on the start to get 400RPM on engagement. You're going to want something like an 80-220. You cold also try adding a shim below your primary spring to compress it slightly to raise the engagement and not change the top. 1/16-1/8" would probably be about right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts