Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 polaris 500 sportsman and i keep finding my air filter box full of gas. I have bought numerous air filters and keep thinking i have solved the problem, but the next day i go out to find my air filter box is full again. What would cause this???

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
needle and seat in the carburetor

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Like Indy said..sounds like your float needle is not seating and gas is running in constantly filling your air box....the carb does have a over flow tube on it ...that may be plugged up so the gas is running in air box....also check your oil for gas contamination...if you smell gas in the oil change it..but only after you rebuild the carb as you will just contaminate it again...make sure your float level is set correct...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! I agree with them, needle & seat in the carb. Also agree with al53 about the oil!!

·
11,130 Posts
^^^X2 on the above. It should run out the overflow tube unless it's plugged. If it is getting in the engine oil you'll ruin the engine if you run it much. Will it not stop running when you turn the fuel valve off?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts