Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure there is a thread on here somewhere that could help me, but i couldnt find what exactly i was looking for, i have an 04 predator, has some mod work done, but il start it, let it run for about ten minutes, and my oil temp (red light will come on) the oil level looks good and the oil is clean, i looked at my coolant and it was a little low, but the coolant looked dirty? Could it be a coolant issue? I was going to do a coolant flush and put new coolant in it, does anyone have any suggestions on what to run? Regular green antifreese will work i herd or engine ice?! Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
its rad temp not oil temp. Clean your rad, make sure your fan is working.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't know anything about your specific model, but I've dealt with overheating issues in several vehicles.

If the coolant is dirty, change it.
But if that fan is not kicking in, that is the primary issue.

On a Kawasaki BF650, there were two places to look for that issue, and your bike is probably similar:

1. There are some wires leading to the fan to supply it power. They probably have a connector or two where the wires meet the fan assembly. Check to ensure that those are clean and dry. If there is old crusty dialectic grease in there, scrape it out and clean it up as well as you can, and put new stuff in. If you have a multimeter, check the continuity after you plug them back in.

2. Where all of the electronics come together, where the fuse box is, you may have a fan relay and/or a circuit breaker for the fan circuit. Check that. Sometimes those can get corroded out, or even just tripped and need to be reset (circuit breaker).

Also, check your fuses. Don't just visually inspect them, hit them with the multimeter and check for continuity. If you don't have a multimeter, just replace them all one at a time. If you can identify which is for the fan, great. Otherwise, replace all of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello
I have a predator
Your radiator sensor is broken if the
Fan don't turn on. I just by passed the sensor and
Added a switch so if the bike is on so is the fan
And you need to use ENGINE ICE.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so, Idk, hard to tell, i did a coolant flush, filled it with new coolant, rode it for about 15 min, fan came on, everythin was fine, brought it back to the garage, let it sit for a bit, took it back out to some flats, got on it a couple times and it spit coolant out everywhere, no blown hose, so idk whats going on,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But im pretty sure i forgot to bleed the radiator of air...could that be the reason? And i hard wired the fan just to make sure they worked and they came on when i hooked it directly to power...im starting to.get the feeling i got F***** over on this deal!!!:headache:

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can get a over sized radiator off ebay for cheep
Are you using engine ice
Just wire a switch to the radiator so the fan is on
When the bike is on
The radiator sensor is $65. A switch is less
Then $5 (radio shack).

·
Registered
377 Posts
Can you reach the radiator with your hand?
If not, go to Harbor Freight and get yourself a cheapie infrared no-touch thermometer.

As the bike starts to warm up, touch different parts of the radiator with your hand (or scan it with the IR thermo) and see if the radiator is heating up.

If the radiator does not get hot, replace your thermostat.
If the radiator gets hot unevenly (one side but not the other) or there is a cold patch but other areas get hot) then there is a blockage in your radiator and you'll need to replace it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay ill check that out when i get off today, i was told that since my header pipe turns glowing red after 10 min or so that i could be running to lean, also how would i bleed my radiator from air?!
Thanks guys hopefully i can get this figured out...

·
Registered
27 Posts
What do you mean head gasket ?
Is it leaking If so replace ASAP.....
Check the spark plug
You need to do a pass kill the motor
Pull the spark plug and see what color it is
Need to be chocolate color......
White is lean
Black is rich

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, when i took it out the other day it spit coolant out, i believe from the resivor, i just pulled the plug, it was whiter than darker if that makes sense... if its running lean, do you think i need to replace the head gasket? Water pump? I justdont understand why my pipes glow red in no time. ..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check the oil
Make sure there's not any coolant in the oil
(If there is coolant the oil level will be very high on the oil dip stick)
You need a bigger main Jett on the carb
Buy 3-5 size larger Jett's
Put the next size bigger Jett in the carb
Do another pass and look at the spark plug (color)
If it's still white or light go to the next size Jett and so on

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, well the oil looks unusually high. But being a wet clutch im not used to the color or smell, i pulled the plug, didnt look bad, im just confused...the guy said it was jetted already, and i know this doesnt really mean much at all but the bike has dyno jet stickers on it...hmmmm

1 - 20 of 46 Posts