Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Sportsman 500, I need to remove the rear drive shaft so that I can install new universal joints. I have everything free, I have backed the bolt back as far as I can- that holds the joint (shaft) in the transmission, I am having an issue with removing the joint (shaft) from the transmission. How much force is required?? Is there a special tool required? any hints on how to pull it from the transmission would be greatly appreciated.
I have tried pulling by hand- and it is not moving at all.
You can post information on the forum, or e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not see a clip in the shop manual, and i did not see one on the joint (shaft). But will go out right now and check a second time.
rust

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm not sure about the older models but some of the newer ones have a pin that needs to be removed that goes through the yoke.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Slider....I know I should not ask this, but I need to get this apart, does anyone know of another forum or a person I could contact to get some help on this issue?
Thanks
rust

·
Registered
28 Posts
You might try the ATV Connection forums, there seems to be a bit more traffic there...

As far as the shaft - do you own a brass hammer?? If so, and you're sure there's no roll pin holding the yoke to the output shaft, I'd beat the crap out of it with the brass hammer till it came off. If it's been on there since '96 (as I'm sure it has), it's probably corroded itself onto the splines pretty good. Just smack it away from the tranny as best you can and it should come off. A little PB Blaster wouldn't hurt, and you may have to work it back and forth some before it'll come off.

HTH.

-J

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sprayed it and let it sit over night, still will not move. No room to use a brass or rubber tipped hammer to pound at it. Any other suggestions?
rust

·
Registered
563 Posts
Maybe a small pry bar or something,but dont crack the tranny case when prying against it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can you get the joint apart and off the shaft, so you just have the yoke to work with? If you could do that, you could maybe get a puller on the yoke to pull it off? I don't know, just throwing out suggestions...

-J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts