Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i had charging issues and turned out to be a bad stator. The service manual states to drain the oil before removing the stator so i did. I proceeded to remove the stator cover and found oil in it. Is this normal? i cannot really find any info. I'm wondering if that's what blew my stator in the first place. Why drain the oil then?? Your help and guidance would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I am not to familar with the 2010 machines..but I cant understand why you need to drain oil....and oil in there is not normal I believe....you pulled the flywheel right....did you see any oil seeping from the crank seal....was it wet...I just looked at the parts fiche....it does have a oil seal in that area...you may have a leaky seal if you have oil in the magneto area.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i didn't pull the flywheel at all. just the stator cover which the stator is attached to it. Can you provide the part number for that seal?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
wait till some one chimes in also..like I said not to sure on the 2010 models and way its set up in the magneto area.....

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
you learn something new on other machines every day....I would of never thought the stator was in oil...I guess I am use to the older models and figured no oil in stator area...thanks for clearing that up...sorry to OP but like I said was not sure how magneto area was set up..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank-you all for your help. I was also able to confirm it via the salvage yard out of all places. I called 2 Polaris dealers and they either really didn't know or did not want to divulge the information. I changed it and its all good now :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts