Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am excited to join the polaris world, but I had a question first and your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

I have a friend of a friend selling his Polaris. He said it was built in the 8th month of 2004, so i am assuming it is a 2005. I believe it is a polaris sportsman 800. The thing absolutely flies! It is cammo and also has a winch. Here is my question.

The quad has 400 hours and 3000 miles on it. The owner of the quad has had it since i think 2006 and paid 7k-8k on it back when it was practically new. I was looking through the quad and doing a minor inspection when i noticed the engine oil was BLACK! Now this was a huge red flag for me for obvious reasons. I changed the oil on an old Kowaski byau 300 that hadn't been changed in forever and the thing never ran right again. When i asked the owner of the Polaris quad about the last time the oil was changed, he said that it only had been changed once since he owned it. Should i be concerned or should i still get it?

The absolutely lowest price i can get him down to is $1800. Now, keep in mind i would say the thing is in very average condition. It clearly has been left outside, so the cammo is pretty faded. Also, it has bald tires but it also includes a Warn winch.

I figure when i buy the thing it will need a few hundred dollars of maintenance plus a set of tires, so right off the bat i am going to need to spend $500-$700 on it.

Is this a good deal? Would you buy it? I am afraid to get this thing and then change the oil and then problems start to arise like happened to me last time.

OPINIONS PLEASE!!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Hello everyone! I am excited to join the polaris world, but I had a question first and your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

I have a friend of a friend selling his Polaris. He said it was built in the 8th month of 2004, so i am assuming it is a 2005. I believe it is a polaris sportsman 800. The thing absolutely flies! It is cammo and also has a winch. Here is my question.

The quad has 400 hours and 3000 miles on it. The owner of the quad has had it since i think 2006 and paid 7k-8k on it back when it was practically new. I was looking through the quad and doing a minor inspection when i noticed the engine oil was BLACK! Now this was a huge red flag for me for obvious reasons. I changed the oil on an old Kowaski byau 300 that hadn't been changed in forever and the thing never ran right again. When i asked the owner of the Polaris quad about the last time the oil was changed, he said that it only had been changed once since he owned it. Should i be concerned or should i still get it?

The absolutely lowest price i can get him down to is $1800. Now, keep in mind i would say the thing is in very average condition. It clearly has been left outside, so the cammo is pretty faded. Also, it has bald tires but it also includes a Warn winch.

I figure when i buy the thing it will need a few hundred dollars of maintenance plus a set of tires, so right off the bat i am going to need to spend $500-$700 on it.

Is this a good deal? Would you buy it? I am afraid to get this thing and then change the oil and then problems start to arise like happened to me last time.

OPINIONS PLEASE!!
If that oil has only been changed once in 3000 miles I would run away from it so fast a super hero wouldn't be able to catch me. That's my opinion. I doubt any maintenance has been done to it. One other thing, changing the oil in any engine isn't going to make it run worse. I had a bayou 300 and changed it many time and it always ran the same....good

·
Registered
548 Posts
First of all wow really? You know you should change the oil every 50 hours. But personally I would take the chance because you getting it for so cheap. Tell him 1500 and voice your concerns about not doing the changes and you are taking a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
have you seen his garage, yard, truck, etc? how does he keep those? if they are trashed, or messy, I wouldn't be surprised that he Beat the Hell out of it and put it away wet.

How often did he ride it? if the oil has only been done once by him but he didn't ride it much you may be ok. $1800 is really cheap for an 800. but you're taking a lot of risk.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ 400 hours and 3000 miles, id say he rode it lol.

i would say that 1800 is a deal, as others have said try to go a bit lower with mentioning the neglect of the machine. if you dont buy it, tell me where it is lol

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
^ 400 hours and 3000 miles, id say he rode it lol.

i would say that 1800 is a deal, as others have said try to go a bit lower with mentioning the neglect of the machine. if you dont buy it, tell me where it is lol
He bought it used. so how much of that 400 hours and 3000 miles were his.

fyi, that's an average speed of 7.5 mph, so depending on the OP's location it could have been a plow machine, otherwise it wasn't moving very fast very often. so it couldn't be to beat on as far as high speeds/high revs. My little hawkeye was 8.5 mph average when I bought it. and it was uses as a hunting rig. I use it for trail riding and I average about 12.7 mph on most of my rides.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
If that oil has only been changed once in 3000 miles I would run away from it so fast a super hero wouldn't be able to catch me.
That's a good one.... :D But very true indeed. As Polaris recommends changing the fluids every 50 hours (400 hrs / 50 hrs = 8 oil changes in that hours span). Not a good track record and would deffinetly be listed in many books as neglect.

Although the $1800 is a great price considering your description..... and if completely maintained would sell for an easy $2800-3200'ish in todays "Used Polaris atv market". So the price is very appealing.

If your handy I would take the chance..... as I find that oil change history hard to believe!! Like you are already, figure a complete fluids and filters change from front to back. If all checks out..... spring for the new tires. If you get an uneasy feeling after performing the service..... sell it for $2200-2500 and pocket the cash made!

Still can't believe that...... and why wouldn't you spend $10-20 to change the oil at least.... even if you didn't put on a new filter, when trying to sell it??? What kind of 'tard is this guy?

Does it run well otherwise? AWD works as it should? If so, I'd do it...... but it's always easier to say that when spending someone elses money!!! :fing02:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Flippant seller? Black oil doesn't scare me.

Black oil huh? Well we all know some engines can make oil black in 1/2 a year, various factors can cause or add to that. I'd say he's being flippant about the oil changes but even if he didn't change it much what Really matters is how it runs/feels to you. If it feels good and strong, go for it (but yes play up your reluctance cuz of the lack of oil changes to get the price down some more) but 1800 is pretty good anyhow. If you get it, 'clean' the lower engine with seafoam (add to oil prior to change-run a couple hours at least), do this a couple times and it'll take most of that carbon (what's making the oil black) out. So if it run's like a bat out of heck, buy it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

OPINIONS PLEASE!!
If that oil has only been changed once in 3000 miles I would run away from it so fast a super hero wouldn't be able to catch me. That's my opinion. I doubt any maintenance has been done to it. One other thing, changing the oil in any engine isn't going to make it run worse. I had a bayou 300 and changed it many time and it always ran the same....good
Agreed, however being that the engine and trans share the same oil, after changing the oil, the quad was always lunging for another gear. I guess like they say about old transmission fluid.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have you seen his garage, yard, truck, etc? how does he keep those? if they are trashed, or messy, I wouldn't be surprised that he Beat the Hell out of it and put it away wet.

How often did he ride it? if the oil has only been done once by him but he didn't ride it much you may be ok. $1800 is really cheap for an 800. but you're taking a lot of risk.
That thought went through my head! The majority of his other stuff looks pretty nice but who the heck knows. For someone to not change a quads oil is just dumb. He has riden it and put the majority of the mileage on the machine. He has ridden it back and forth between his house and his neighbors house and some at his hunting land- no plowing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If that oil has only been changed once in 3000 miles I would run away from it so fast a super hero wouldn't be able to catch me.
That's a good one.... :D But very true indeed. As Polaris recommends changing the fluids every 50 hours (400 hrs / 50 hrs = 8 oil changes in that hours span). Not a good track record and would deffinetly be listed in many books as neglect.

Although the $1800 is a great price considering your description..... and if completely maintained would sell for an easy $2800-3200'ish in todays "Used Polaris atv market". So the price is very appealing.

If your handy I would take the chance..... as I find that oil change history hard to believe!! Like you are already, figure a complete fluids and filters change from front to back. If all checks out..... spring for the new tires. If you get an uneasy feeling after performing the service..... sell it for $2200-2500 and pocket the cash made!

Still can't believe that...... and why wouldn't you spend $10-20 to change the oil at least.... even if you didn't put on a new filter, when trying to sell it??? What kind of 'tard is this guy?

Does it run well otherwise? AWD works as it should? If so, I'd do it...... but it's always easier to say that when spending someone elses money!!! :fing02:
Very very good point. If i get uneasy about it, i can just throw the thing up for sale and try to get my money back. The quad runs great, it screams! It idles well and shifts smooth. AWD works great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for everyones time, i really appreciate it! This has been a debacle of mine the past two months. The guy got hurt on the thing and has bad memories on it. He is just a ******* and doesnt want to deal with craigslist idiots and all, that is why the price is so low. He ran the thing mostly at his house to a neighbors and at his hunting camp.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong

but i thought all sportsmans had engine oil and seperatly transmission/rear gearbox oil? Did not know 800s have them together? You know kasawaki's and polos have Very different methods to transmit power to the wheels, right? I don't think there is anyway to affect the polo transmission and/or belt drive with an oil change, anyone know better?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but i thought all sportsmans had engine oil and seperatly transmission/rear gearbox oil? Did not know 800s have them together? You know kasawaki's and polos have Very different methods to transmit power to the wheels, right? I don't think there is anyway to affect the polo transmission and/or belt drive with an oil change, anyone know better?
I was referring to when i changed old old old engine oil in a Kowaski, not a polaris.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

Very very good point. If i get uneasy about it, i can just throw the thing up for sale and try to get my money back. The quad runs great, it screams! It idles well and shifts smooth. AWD works great.
Then, go buy it.... what are you waiting for? :dunno: :D :fing02:

As stated, if you can haggle for a lower price.... great! If not buy it anyways @ $1800!! As Cheach & Chong said.... run a splash of SeaFoam in the engine oil, help clean the interior carbon out. But I'd personally change the oil first.... use a cheap synthetic with the SeaFoam adder..... don't work it at all, just let it sit idleing for a good while till operating temperature. Let it sit and change it again and idle that oil till warm. Then change it again and add your "favorite quality flavor of synthetic oil and a qulity oil filter".

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

OPINIONS PLEASE!!
Agreed, however being that the engine and trans share the same oil, after changing the oil, the quad was always lunging for another gear. I guess like they say about old transmission fluid.....
My Bayou never did that, and anyway, how can a quad with a manual transmission lunge for anything

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i would get it....if it runs good as you say...just do oil and fluids...i would use a HDEO oil to clean the engine inside....something like Rotella T6 it has a ton of cleaners for carbon and sludge...then after 15 hours change it...and use your own flavor....

but make sure you do other fluids also...if real dirty do the same..run 15 hours an change them..

·
Registered
978 Posts
Go for it as long as it runs good. Then bring it home change all the fluids and ride it. $1800 is a good price id still try and bring it down to 1500$ thou just for the risk factor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am going to make one last visit to be sure that it has oil in the diffs and transmission- old oil is better than no oil. The if so, i am going to take the plunge! Thanks everyone for your time and opinion!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts