Polaris ATV Forum banner

help! Overheating

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Bruce! 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a 2002 Sportsman 500 that recently started overheating (temp. light came on and radiator fluid was coming out of overflow and fan was not running). I also started experiencing another issue prior to overheating (not sure if they are related) that I cannot start my quad unless I use the pull start. I tried jumping the battery with no luck.

So this is what I know so far:
I am having a battery/starting issue and quad only starts and runs with pull start. Lights and instruments do work.
Fan works. I bypassed it and it started running with no problem.
Radiator fins and screen are clean of dirt.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to start? Could my 2 issues be related? Should I consider the thermostat, radiator cap, temperature sensor, water pump, battery? Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Matt

#2 ·
You have basically answered your own question.
start with the easy stuff.
First off check temp sensor and fan switch since the fan wasn't running. Without the fan it will boil over.
2 flush radiator and add new clean antifreeze and ensure there is no air in the system.
also it would be good to buy the new style overflow cap that has the vent hose. This prevents antifreeze from leaking out while riding and allowing air to enter the cooling system.
An new radiator cap and thermostat couldn't hurt either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.