Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i am new to the forum and i have just bought an 04 scrambler. when i purchased it there was an ugly decal on the left fender and i used some gasoline on a rag to help take it off. I have done this before for my snowmobile and other atv's but for some reason this time it seemed to take off the clear coat. The plastic is like a metallic black and i know i didnt take off the paint but it isnt shiny anymore. I tried to bring it back with armor all and other cleaners but it doesnt work. Is there any clear coats for plastic out there that u can buy or anything to bring that shine back because it is really annoying me.:shocked:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:cowboy:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I say just go hit a little mud and wa-la, shiny all gone!
Ok just kidding... I have used Pledge for years to help keep my machine nice... However, no matter what you do, some "fading" will occur, especially around the wear spots and routinely scuffed areas. I also borrow a product called "Black Again" from my bro to occasionally make the black, black again, it works awesome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have also started using Turtle Wax Ice on my machine. In fact, I use this stuff on my Chevy, my RV and my ATV. It works great, easy on, no mess, works on all surfaces (black, paint, chrome, headlights) and did I mention that it was easy on, easy off! I can do all three in a couple of hours... In fact, I am going to do all three this weekend because it's so easy.

Good luck

skip

·
Registered
829 Posts
SC1, available at many motorsports dealers, is exactly what you are looking for. It's made specifically for ATV & dirt bike plastics.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If all else fails (and one of the above solutions should work great), try getting one of those Color Match waxes (I think Turtle wax makes them), wash the machine real well (making sure to remove any gas residue) and dry it (you don't want any water marks). Apply a thin coat of the wax and allow to dry. Buff out by hand (machine buffers heat the wax up too much and cause it to smudge. Then apply another coat. Keep repeating until your happy. (sometime 4 or 5 coats may be required)

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
We have a new product that should be on our shop site soon. Makes the quad look like brand new and has a long life span. The company is sending me some products to test on our units. As soon as I test it I will post the results on the site.

·
Registered
111 Posts
myself i use tire foam on my quads.makes my 06 look almost new again.
so far no side effects from it.i wait until they go on sale at Canadian tire then buy a bunch.
one real good bonus as well.
spray it on 10 minutes before your mud ride, and i mean every where but your display, may cause haze. but everywhere else under side by tire etc.
makes clean up a breeze. been doing this for 5 years and works great.everybody else cleaning and you could be drinking and eating already lol.

·
Registered
70 Posts
try a little lapping compound "somtimes called rubbing compound" "the same crap them sell at 4X the price in headlight restoration kits" you want 3m Rubbing compound it's the exact same black bottle that comes in 90% of the headlight restore kits. put some on a foam or wool polishing wheel, slap that in your drill and polish until hazed whipe off haze and shiny underneath. afterwards slap on some mothers wax and your set.if you want to go overboard and repaint buy some Duracoat. it's acetone proof, gas proof, cut proof,scratch proof etc etc. use it all the time "I paint custom firearms for a living" also works great for painting plastics and fenders add a little extra flex additive to be safe and will never crack.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When I purchased my TRX700XX, the dealer gave me a can of what they called Honda Shine. The can says Pro Honda spray cleaner and polish. The sales guy said the stuff was amazing! And you can use on all surfaces. Any ways I wasn’t to impressed, I did use it a few times but still have ½ a can. Now last month I was at the local Wal*Mart and picked up a 16 oz bottle of Mequiars Supreme Shine Hi-Gloss Protectant for $4.00 with more UV Protection.

Meguiar's Direct Meguiar's Supreme Shine® Protectant

And check the picture of my old 2001 Polaris after one application. And FYI it’s not wet or greasy just looks like it. And it is dry in this picture. You know how sometimes a old car looks good wet, but when it dry’s it’s not so shinny. Parts of the red on this Scrambler looked more pink before, this stuff stays wet looking, and is amazing! I couldn't wait to get the 700 off the trailer and see what it looked like in the sun shine.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
74 Posts
i second rodeo1 i have always used tire foam or tire black just spray it on and wipe it off it helps the mud not stick and keeps everything shiny
just remember don't get your seat it makes it slick and you can slide right around on your seat!

·
Registered
243 Posts
i second rodeo1 i have always used tire foam or tire black just spray it on and wipe it off it helps the mud not stick and keeps everything shiny
just remember don't get your seat it makes it slick and you can slide right around on your seat!
Dont that stuff leave the quad tacky?

·
Registered
74 Posts
i have never experienced it being tacky it actually makes it slick so most of the mud just slides off
thats also why i now have to remember don't put it on your seat because you with slide right into
the gas tank

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I also use tire shine. Quickest, easiest way I have found to make the bike shine and as an added bonus, make cleanup a breeze.

·
Registered
829 Posts
We have a new product that should be on our shop site soon. Makes the quad look like brand new and has a long life span. The company is sending me some products to test on our units. As soon as I test it I will post the results on the site.
How about it Thor...is it good or not?

·
Registered
111 Posts
i do my seat as well lol but after i put it away lol.also do my cargo box seat too.come next weekend no slipage.lol.and when you show up the boys always laugh and ask if i bought a new bike. when i use 2006 Yamaha .anyway hope you found the info helpful.enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
74 Posts
rodeo i did my seat let my quad sit in the yard for like 2 hours and i had to run down the road to a neighbors and i took the turn a little quick and slide right into the tank
lets just say i'm gonna remember not to ride right after i spray it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts