Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a 95 polaris scrambler to give u a little history of my quad I have had it for almost 2 years not even on the year anniversary i blew the piston into pieces, did the rebuild myself it ran like a champ for almost an entire year but lately i have been having electrical problems with it,(intermittent spark) found out to be the rev limiter so unhook it bought a used one from ebay turned out to be junk so have been running it like that for about 4 months but last week it quit lighting up my dashboard it was fine though because i was still getting spark, however next it wouldnt start using my starter, i figured it was the key because i have been meaning to replace it cause of obvious signs of failure, (like when i would turn it it wouldnt light up my dashboard so i would have to jiggle it to get it to work). so i said let me bypass the switch until the 3rd being that is when i get paid so i bypassed the key with a toggle switch and when i hit the start button all i got was 3-4 clicks from the solenoid and then everything went dead again so unhooked the toggle switch however in the process i accidentally touched wires that i was not suppose to so then i had to check the 20 amp circuit breaker that was junk so i momentarily jumped that connecting the two ends with a piece of wire voila i had power to my dashboard again, so i proceeded to hit the start button again, and again 3-4 clicks from the solenoid and then nothing lost power to the dashboard again and no spark as well this time around. so then i pull out my trusted service manual and it tells me to ohm check the solenoid so i proceeded to do so and my book says that it should be 3.4 anything higher than that i should replace the solenoid, my reading was 10. something. so my question, is having a bad solenoid would it cause all of these problems. so i am at wits end and i need this atv to get around on my farm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I havent heard of a solenoid causing a problem like that . Normally they will just no longer engage. But if you wanted to replace it you can normally pick one up at any parts store for less that 10$ but the bolt holes might not line up.its sounds to me like you have a loose conection somewhere either at the battery or the starter or a ground wire.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont know either im thinking faulty battery but it is showing 12 volts right know but i cant check it under load since i cant get it to run

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree with darkgoatracer, pull the battery take it to your local auto parts store and have it tested first. Clean and tighten all connections and grounds. If you don't have a good battery, all other electrical testing is useless. Buddy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i think i figured out the culprit im thinking it is the battery because i was just fooling with it and i have power to the dashboard however after hitting the start button a few times i lost power to the dashboard again and then right after i put my multimeter on the battery and it wasnt even showing 1 volt so im thinking that is the problem. quick question if the batery is that low will it stilll not spark even thru the pull rope, since i am not getting any spark
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you don't have enough voltage to power up the electronics, nothing is going to work right. Sounds like you have a cracked plate internal of the battery. Cools off, touches and works. Load it trying to start it and the plate heats up and breaks contact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts