Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I've just moved to Australia and bought my first ATV here. I've ridden quite a few but never owned one therefore it's unfortunate to say I'm a complete mechanical moron with any faults on my new bike. I'll get to the point... I had taken it out riding last weekend for 2-3hrs alternating from high gear to low gear and adjusting the amount of throttle I use from minimal to full on both gears, also switching between 2WD to AWD. It ran perfectly. I went to a place called lancelin in western Australia today which is world famous for it's dunes and famous for it's high fatality rate per year of off road bikers. I wasn't too hard on it I don't say as I slowed down for most dunes but on the flats I did have the throttle down in high gear every so often just to open her up. I had a break with my buddies and then went to jump back on and start it, being a show off and revving my engine to tell them to hurry up whilst holding the handle brakes in, we all started to notice a weird smell followed immediately by very light grey smoke coming from under the front end and out near the shifter, it then got very thick remaining the same color. And it was a very unusual smell. We took the plastics off and tried to assess the problem, no luck. I then put it back together and went to take her around for a slow putt to see if she was ok but all I got in both high and low gears was a clunk clunk clunk and the guts of the bike were shaking left to right prefusely. I got towed to the trailer in neutral and pushed it on and came home, I turned her on and reversed off the trailer and drove in low to the house (30ft) and it was worse sounding like it wanted to fall apart. Can anyone tell me what it could possibly be please? If it was smoking it couldn't be the clutch or crank shaft right? Wouldn't it be more engine related or like the gear box is drained? Also it has only had 5-8hrs ride time so I haven't had the 20hr service yet. And I found a thin clear hose/tube completely detached laying on the bed of the trailer before I even got to ride it today. The other two clear hoses are still attached and hanging out the bottom though... Is my bike majorly screwed? Any help would be 110% appreciated. Thank you.

Semper Fi

·
10,659 Posts
If you were holding the brakes and gassing on it in gear I'd pull the belt cover and check the belt first. You probably burnt the belt up...hence the "funny" smell of burning rubber.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It sounds to me like you burned the belt. With the engine running in neutral the drive belt is rotating, when you put it in gear the belt stops turning until the atv starts movong. If you were in gear (you said you were holding the breaks) the drive and driven clutches and belt are trying to overcome the breaks but can't, the belt is the weak link and it burns where it is touching the drive clutch. Take the belt cover off and I think you'll find a narrow area on the belt. Every time the narrow area passes between the clutches you'll get the shake you're descriping.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Too add to the belt thing, one of those how to videos on YouTube stated don't ever sit still in gear, switch to N. Even idleing in gear, the belt is being rubbed in one spot.

·
Registered
601 Posts
agree...you smoked the belt...Muddie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, alot! What belt is it? The clutch belt? Is it a DIY thing or a mechanic thing? Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Clutch belt. You can do it. Take of the black clutch cover housing, and it's just as simple as working the old belt off the pullies and putting the sane way on basically. You will figure it out.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks guys, alot! What belt is it? The clutch belt? Is it a DIY thing or a mechanic thing? Thanks again.
In this video it shows how to install a new belt the correct way.
You have to wait until he gets the clutches on first before the belt
install.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
our 2011 Polaris 850 xp eps we got it rite before memorial day weekend and man when we got it we rode it like we stole the damn thing we got 300 miles on it in the first day of non stop low range rock crawls all the way to a shit load of racing haha man that bikes ass was kicked haha and for u guys with 850s this bike did not even end up with oil in the air box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts