Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my speedo doesnt work,(2002 sportsman 500 HO ) AWD works and light comes on,reverse oride works when its supposed to,I read in the book to try those 1st.... well what do I check next or is just the speedo gone,or...? THANK YOU EVERYONE! im lost:confused:

·
Registered
421 Posts
so dose the speedo show your speed? the mileage display work? back lighting? but reguarless sounds like your gona need a new speedo. whai it sounds like is the diplay dont work but the speedo it self still works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no speed moves,milage etc. and from what the "sportsman climber" book is that if the AWD works than the speedo sensor is OK. Just not sure on the speedo itself.....didnt know if someone else had this same problem as it sounds like its quite freaqent,even though its never happened to any of my other sportsmans.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hopefully if anyone else had any similar problems with their sportsman they will give me a holla.THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
every,electrical line imaginable,for shorts,fuses etc.and went through my book (wiring diagram)
and found nothing...im lost,

·
Registered
421 Posts
speedo still count the hrs?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats what Im looking for now actually,but havent got all the plastic (front) back on it yet to ride it and see if it will ,or is still showing hours running.I will post as soon as I know.THANK YOU!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My '01 made it to 1295 miles when it quit. Your hour-meter should still work.

It may be the sensor wire, but I doubt it. I replaced mine as per dealer with no change. They were just crappy speedos. I think thats why they went with VDO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 99 and it did the same thing and the 4wd stopped working it wont be long before it gives out but if it still works then the spedo might just be fried

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
yes it does,checked back lighting,still works! the only thing that I see not working is the needle will not move from 0.... But what scares me is in my book it says if the speeedo doesnt work than after 3000 RPM's the AWD will stop working... So I havent dared to check that. but in the book it says if the AWD light comes on than your speedo is fine,so Im lost! I mean my AWD light comes on and works fine but i just havent tryed the over 3000 RPM thing to see if the light goes out. Put it this way if everything works like it is except the actual "needle" on the speedo then Im fine! but like I said it would kinda suck if the AWD cut out at 3000 RPM! but i did the test for the sensor cable,and its fine.
and YES its right around that milage like you guys said my 01 never had a problem,but probably not ever had a sportsman that had this weird prob. any other suggestions Im listening...and THANKS GUYS. ONE MORE WEIRD THING! to me anyway,ive seen more sportsmans that do this same thing ,some on one side some on both sides ,even as one as new as an 05 i looked at! <---- WHY ON A lot of Sportsmans the front tires lean in at the top???? I have one side on my 02 doing it but everything is tight,and the tires are right as far as both tires looking at it from the front.. they sit lined up from left to right (meaning aiming at your eyes right) EXCEPT ONE LEANS IN... LOL. its just the Right side (sitting on it) that leans in toward the top??
pisses me cause i look at my 03 and both front tires sit nice and straight up and down! but then again it only has 300+ miles on it and been used very light,(long story...sorry) an older guy owned it (bought it brand new),paperwork and all,The littlebooks,that come with it,service papers,even an unused tool kit hmmm. (its a limited addition mossy/oak camo) and the guy ownes 86 acers behind his house, put it this way.. I got there and the thing was almost spotless,"I said you must have just cleaned this".. he says "no actually I never have had to wash it,just wiped it down a little cause of the kids and stuff riding on it.. cause of his 86 acres,and pretty much only used it for hunting,and most of that acreage has old grass roads" Im thinking "ok guy" then I get on.. start it up, saw like no hours,and no milage.and Im thinking wow! Maby he's one the honest guy's (usually not likley when people sell crap!) but anyway I ended up paying barley over 3000. (then saw what it booked for when I got home..I was VERY happy! and have put it through the tests (mud/water and all and she is what he claimed,and the speedo works!!!! LOL
sorry so long im also boared and want to finger this 2002 out. but like I said beside the speedo thing ,someone give me tell me the reasoning behind the thing on "leaning tires" its driving me nutts,(leaning in at the top) kinda like the rest, but it rides and runs like a top and after adjusting the valves,i got done changed the oil (with the right stuff,greased EVERY HUNDRED places there was to grease, checked and or changed every other fluid from front to back including the front hubs,which....didnt have much to none..,I wasnt impressed!,and cleaned the oil filter checked the belt.(I TRULEY went through this thing,from front to back,top to bottom,new throttle cable,fixed the idle cable,and adjusted the throttle the "right way" not by the idle.....and its just as quiet and goes real nice in everyway,SO FAR..go figure. Just HAVE to finger this leaning front wheel and (speedo)hope I have AWD after 3000 RPM's THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts