Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding through river crossings with water coming up to the top of the seat all day and powering through no problems. Then came to a lake and tried crossing. It sunk over the handle bars and died. After being towed out, we took the air box cover off and drained it, we removed the air filter and set it out to dry, removed the spark plug and shot the water out, then replaced the plug. We tried starting for atleast 30 mins to an hour with no luck. We even used deodorant and sprayed it up the air hose that connected to the air filter trying to get her cranking, and she started for about 30 seconds idling, and then died and did it a second time then died, everytime we tried after that water started spittin out everywhere under the front near the shifter knob somewhere. I've gotten it home but still can't start it, I've left the air box cover off and the air filter off to dry over night as it's too dark now to see anything on it. I plan on attacking it tomorrow morning, but have no idea where anything is on it nor what needs to be fixed. Could anyone advise me what could be wrong? And what I need to do and how to do it? I just don't want to pay an ass load getting it fixed and I'm trying to get her running like normal by tomorrow as it's my last day off work and can't do it till next weekend if not tomorrow. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just read another persons post saying they had the same issue and that it was 4000-6000 dollars damage and had it written off. Wtf? I thought these bikes could withstand that type of riding and just drain it and keep going. If they weren't supposed to be ridden like that they shouldn't tell you you can. And definitely advise against river crossings and submerging as it can completely ruin the bike. I've seen people doin it no problem. I just figured the worst damage would be a oil drain and refill and maybe a change of filters and drain the water, and push on. Can someone please tell me, am I screwed or more than likely a fixable issue that won't cost much more than a couple hundred?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks... But it said do not try to crank it if it's been submerged. Which I tried doing for like nearly an hour. It even started and idled a couple times for a bit. Is it likely I royally screwed my bike because of submerging it and/or trying to crank it after getting it out and draining the water from the carby and air box?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
first thing you do after sinking your bike is drain the airbox and belt. Then take out the spark plugs and turn the bike over(not literally, just push the start button), to blow the water out the spark plug holes. Then change all fluids including differentials, transmission, and oil. I would do the fuel to but it may just need seafoam or some other additive that helps get water out. Carborated engines are usually a little harder to get started than efi after being sunk. After you do all this and get it started, it sounds like some snorkles are in order for your riding style.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thanks... But it said do not try to crank it if it's been submerged. Which I tried doing for like nearly an hour. It even started and idled a couple times for a bit. Is it likely I royally screwed my bike because of submerging it and/or trying to crank it after getting it out and draining the water from the carby and air box?
I think it depends on how much water got in, and where it got in to. If you have a bunch of H2O in your oil and you've been running (trying to run) it it's probably going to a take a few extra oil changes to clear it out. Once you sink one of these babies bad, you now have to go through eveything with a fine toothed comb or live to regret it later. If water went down your breathers into diffs that'll need changing too. If water may have gotten into the fuel, change that, add seafoam. If you got it to run it's probably not seized which is good. Be vigilant and take your time, lots of seafoam and patience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet thanks... Would I need new filters of any sort? And if so what filters? How easy is it to change all the fluids? I know oil is simple but I have no idea where the diff or tranny plugs are. So fluid changes, new spark plugs? Filters? Drain air box, Carby, and belt?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
It will be ok to leave it overnight. Just don't let it sit for longer than that. Along with changing all the fluids and filters, I would go ahead and get some dielectric grease and do all the electrical connections. Don't forget about the spark plug boot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I know y'all have been thoughroughly helpful already. But just to get it all straight as I'm a newbie and it's a 10,000 dollar machine I can't afford to screw up. Could you go over a step by step play by play plan of action for me? Not just what I need to do step by step but if you could also include a list of supplies needed and if at all possible describe the harder steps. I get how to change the fluids and I can use the net to help me there. But all the rest I'm very confused on how to do and where to start. Thank you very much

·
Registered
425 Posts
What the hell were you thinking? These things are NOT boats or submarines! They are ATV's. If I spent 10,000 for an ATV I really don't think I would be trying destroy it. Sorry for the rant. Just tired of reading people doing this sort stuff and then blame the machine or the manu. for poor design. I thought I saw a thread somewhere before on the steps to get it going again, maybe a search would help. Sorry about your luck, now get fixed and get back to riding!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Honestly, if you don't know how to change the diff fluids you are better off taking it to someone. If your powersports knowledge doesn't allow you to change fluids, then a submerged engine is probably beyond your current skill.

The longer you wait the worse it is. I honestly wouldn't wait overnight on a submerged engine of any kind. You want it running ASAP to start drying it out. At least make sure your engine internals are coated in fogging oil or something to slow down the rusting while you fix it.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
After reading all of your posts,it would probably be best to take it to your dealer. What ever you do you need to do it quick to get everything lubricated. At least get a friend to help you drain every thing and get oil back in it. RUST is not your friend.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I know if I had spent that kind of money on an ATV I'd spend the money to have someone knowledgable do what's needed to make right. The longer you wait the more it's gonna cost. As previously stated, they're not submarines and until you know how to fix your ATV keep the water level below your airbox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What color is the oil? If it's a milky color you have water in that too.. We ride in environments like that all the time, and have yet to lose a machine. We have had to change oil 2-3x to get rid of water in the oil. The bearings and water do not mix well, so i would look at that asap.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A nyone to submerge an engine and not have it destroy itself internally is very lucky as water does NOT compress. Flip side is you prob knocked off some carbon build up on the inside. If you can not do a complete rebuild get some WD-40 inside to keep rust off the cylinder wall.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys... Alot. I drained all the fluids but I was worried I wouldn't get it done in a day as I've got kids and they were hindering my working on it. So it's in the shop. But thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts