Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 98 Polaris xplorer 300 4x4 two stroke and I cannot get it to idle, I have tried the air adjustment screw and the idle screw and nothing. Due to the age of this atv I cannot seem to understand if the “kill switch” on the thumb throttle is touching to make it die but I cannot figure anything out. I would also like to know what the specifications on the cable going into the carb for screwing it in, and I would like to know the adjustments for the screws on the carb. Thanks

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Adjust the throttle cable so the thumb lever has 1/8 to 1/4 inch of movement before it starts pulling on the cable

Set the air screw at 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated

Set the idle speed screw for the desired idle speed

Note: if the compression is low, there is a leaky seal on the crankshaft, the air filter is dirty or the carb is jetted too rich, it will not idle well, but it should not idle more than 3 to 5 minutes when the engine is hot as it may overheat - it should be allowed to idle moer than 15 minutes when the engine is cold as it may overheat. If it running, ride it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adjust the throttle cable so the thumb lever has 1/8 to 1/4 inch of movement before it starts pulling on the cable

Note: if the compression is low, there is a leaky seal on the crankshaft, the air filter is dirty or the carb is jetted too rich, it will not idle well, but it should not idle more than 3 to 5 minutes when the engine is hot as it may overheat - it should be allowed to idle moer than 15 minutes when the engine is cold as it may overheat. If it running, ride it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thank you so much I will do my best!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts