Polaris ATV Forum banner

Help pls adding a winch to a Sportsman 500

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Phearless 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 500 that I want to add a winch to...I may never even need it so im getting the bracket and 2500# winch from Harbor Freight
How much of a project is this ? Any help or advise I appreciate !!

#2 ·
Pretty easy job. Mount the winch, mount the switch and relay, run the wires. Two large cables will go from the battery to the relay, two similar sized cables will go from the relay to the winch and the rest of the smaller wires go to the handlebar switch. The relay on my 04 600 mounts back by the battery. Make sure you don't use undersized cables.

#3 ·
Ok so if I get that bracket at Harbor Freight will there already be holes on the 4 wheeler or do I have to drill ? And you say don't use undersize cables...doesn't the winch come with the correct cables ?
I was going to get the winch at HF too,,,I probably will never even have to use it as I only use the 4wheeler for hunting and not realy in areas where I will get stuck

#5 ·
Ok...so if I take the cheapo route and get the Badlands winch AND the Badlands bracket, will that bracket mount to my Sportsman 500 ? Im not really sure where it would mount , it looks like a flat plate...how does this mount mount to my machine ??
Thx for the help

#7 ·
Have you looked at any pictures of an 03 Sportsman 500 with a winch? It mounts in front of the radiator opening. Very different from my 04 600. I'm sure there is a specific mount that you'll need. I'd start googling it. I saw a bunch of pics without trying very hard. Look at the Polaris parts site too for the parts breakdown. That should explain a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.