Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I recently picked up a nice 03 Predator 500 for $800 At the time the only issues were it had a rip in the seat, a stripped shifter and the grips were worn out. Now I have a new seat on it but heres my issue. When you come right on to it it bogs around half throttle then feels like it has no power. Then if you keep holding it pinned it comes out of it and rips. It just started doing this. It idles fine and I cleaned the air filter but the problem is still there. It also is not charging the battery. If I ride for a long time and shut it off when I go to start it the fan comes on then slows down when you hit the starter and it cranks slow and wont start. And does any one have a shifter they would sell cheap? :(

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
521 Posts
clean your carb really well before you start jetting anything and as said check the battery if not change your recctifier

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do and Why did it just start doing this out of the blue?

·
Registered
521 Posts
why would it start bogging? dirty gas old gas something caught up in the float valve dirty jet something could have sucked threw the air filter and got inside the carb

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any special way I do this?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Easiest way is too pull the air box then take it off the intake intake boot the turn it upside down pull the bowl remove one jet at a time carb clean it real well then blow it out with air, then once you've done it all flip it back around pull the top off clean the needle an seat then clean the slide real well and reassemble top half has a spring in it be careful

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
When you cleaned the air filter, did you get the air box all put back together properly? Maybe have a torn or loose carb boot? That would create a lean issue in the mid range. Any other mods like pipe or high flow air filter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The spark arrestor is out of it and I dont think it was jetted to run like that

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
that would really effect the half throttle plus range with a pipe mod. But leaking air around the box lid or a carb boot will effect just off idle the most.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And does anyone have a shifter they would sell?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has always been ran without the arrestor and ran fine how should I jet it to run this way?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do I jet it to run without the arrestor on?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
That shouldn't make a big difference. May have to turn mixture screw out a half turn or so, and up main by a couple sizes. With high flow filters and pipes on them I usually end up at about a 165 main of I remember correctly.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Arrestor shouldn't change anything but sound, at least won't change it enough too change the air mixture enough too up jets, it's the same way if you add a performance exhaust no need for jetting

1 - 16 of 16 Posts