Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 sp500 ho putting some tools togather to carry with me, are more std or metric nots and bolt sizes?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Here is what I carry:

2 tow straps
Racket Strap
Full socket set
tire repair kit
extra belt
air compressor
toilet paper
water/snacks
bungee straps
Allen wrenches/screw drivers
Green Slime for the tires
3 different pliers
4 extra spark plugs
spark plug socket
tire gauge
Fire Extinguisher
Towels/hand sanitizer/wet wipes
rain cloths

I think that is all...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I have a 2008 sp500 ho putting some tools togather to carry with me, are more std or metric nots and bolt sizes?
Mine is mostly standard. But I do have a couple of metric wrenches for things like the battery terminals (10mm), and certain engine parts that might need snugging.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I am by no means capable of fixing a motor/transmission or any other serious problem in the woods...Thank got for friends...So I don't carry much in regards to tools my thing is comfort and survival more then mechanics..

machete
echo folding saw
GPS
maps
flares
bungee cords
10' tow strap
fishing tackle/fishing rod
Rain gear
extra lens for goggles/anti fog
slime tire repair kit
walkies
buck knife
multi tool
magnesium stick w-flint
LED flashlight
first aid kit
$50 bill always stashed on my bike
gum
chocolate
beef/deer/bear/goose jerky what ever is in season
There maybe more but my bike is up north at the farm so I can't double check. This is the list for when I go to moose camp or to the boonies.90% of the time I ride on private property and and in populated areas so carrying survival gear and tools is really not necessary.
But I do keep tools at the truck
extra spark plugs
extra plastic rivets
ratchet set
driver set
torx bits of useable sizes
allen keys
duct tape
zip ties
olfa razor
small pry bar
hammer
electrical tape
small tube of die-electric grease
grease gun with amsoil grease
extra air filter
soon to be extra belt and tools required for my buddy to change it..lol
extra axle bolts and lug nuts
a piece of pipe for added leverage when removing/installing lugs nuts
extra head and tail bulbs

I'm sure there's more but moose hunting is not for another 4/5 months so I'll worry about it then.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
slime, tire repair kit, small compressor, bungees, straps, 20 ft tow rope, sockets to fit the bike, wrenches to fit, torx heads, allen heads, 2 lights, knife, saw, cooler, gps, extra rags

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I am by no means capable of fixing a motor/transmission or any other serious problem in the woods...Thank got for friends...So I don't carry much in regards to tools my thing is comfort and survival more then mechanics..

machete
echo folding saw
GPS
maps
flares
bungee cords
10' tow strap
fishing tackle/fishing rod
Rain gear
extra lens for goggles/anti fog
slime tire repair kit
walkies
buck knife
multi tool
magnesium fire starter
LED flashlight
first aid kit
$50 bill always stashed on my bike
gum
chocolate
beef/deer/bear/goose jerky what ever is in season
There maybe more but my bike is up north at the farm so I can't double check. This is the list for when I go to moose camp or to the boonies.90% of the time I ride on private property and and in populated areas so carrying survival gear and tools is really not necessary.
But I do keep tools at the truck
extra spark plugs
extra plastic rivets
ratchet set
driver set
duct tape
zip ties
olfa razor
small pry bar
hammer
electrical tape
small tube of die-electric grease
grease gun with amsoil grease
extra air filter
soon to be extra belt and tools required for my buddy to change it..lol
extra axle bolts and lug nuts
a piece of pipe for added leverage when removing/installing lugs nuts
extra head and tail bulbs

I'm sure there's more but moose hunting is not for another 4/5 months so I'll worry about it then.
I am the same, can't fix too much, but want to survive.

Do you also carry a strike flint, or a magnesium flint stick, or both??

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
absolutely Will that's what I meant by the mag fire starter....its a magnesium stick and on one edge it has a flint strike...I never go in the woods with out that and my buck knife.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
absolutely Will that's what I meant by the mag fire starter....its a magnesium stick and on one edge it has a flint strike...I never go in the woods with out that and my buck knife.
Oh, ok. Where did you buy it?? We have an outdoor shop up in Barrie. Don't want any of that novelty stuff, that is for sure.

I will soon start putting stuff like this together.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I like this one because its cheap,widely available and works great..you can buy expensive ones with handles or bear grils has a line of crap out...this is a tried true basic product that does exactly what its suppose to. start a fire in any condition...here is a link.but you can buy it can-tire,wall mart army surplus etc...

Coghlan's Fire Starter | Bass Pro Shops

I also make my own fire blocks
muffin paper
melted wax
kerosine
1/2 wood chips
1/2 saw dust
melt that all up in a pot and pour 1" into the muffin paper let cool scrape some mag on there and through a spark that way and theirs your fire!

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I like this one because its cheap,widely available and works great..you can buy expensive ones with handles or bear grils has a line of crap out...this is a tried true basic product that does exactly what its suppose to. start a fire in any condition...here is a link.but you can buy it can-tire,wall mart army surplus etc...

Coghlan's Fire Starter | Bass Pro Shops

I also make my own fire blocks
muffin paper
melted wax
kerosine
1/2 wood chips
1/2 saw dust
melt that all up in a pot and pour 1" into the muffin paper let cool scrape some mag on there and through a spark that way and theirs your fire!
Thanks. Looks exactly like what Les Stroud has used, simple and effective.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts