Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and needing assistance. I acquired a 1998 Polaris 400 Explorer to be used on a 5-acre property, doing rock hauling, tree trimming, etc. Having not run in 10 years it took a bit to make it worth the $250 I paid for it. I drained all boxes and refilled. However, I cannot for the life of me find the fill port for the front gear box. This is a front chain drive model not the direct drive model. I have checked others in this year, and they are all direct drive. I have taken the fenders and tires off and still can't find the fill port. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
15,182 Posts
New to the forum and needing assistance. I acquired a 1998 Polaris 400 Explorer to be used on a 5-acre property, doing rock hauling, tree trimming, etc. Having not run in 10 years it took a bit to make it worth the $250 I paid for it. I drained all boxes and refilled. However, I cannot for the life of me find the fill port for the front gear box. This is a front chain drive model not the direct drive model. I have checked others in this year, and they are all direct drive. I have taken the fenders and tires off and still can't find the fill port. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, LATEBIRD. I have spent my career working on heavy machinery and servicing it daily. I even owned an oil change business, so I have 55 years of experience. That chain drive was the source of several sleepless nights trying to figure a way to add gear oil. All unsuccessful.

·
Administrator
19,529 Posts
Thanks, LATEBIRD. I have spent my career working on heavy machinery and servicing it daily. I even owned an oil change business, so I have 55 years of experience. That chain drive was the source of several sleepless nights trying to figure a way to add gear oil. All unsuccessful.
I sent you a PDF copy of the service manual

1 - 8 of 8 Posts