Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my stock wheel set on my new 2013 Sportsman 800. The stock wheels are 25"/10w/12" rear and 25"/8w/12" front (I believe). Looking at different wheel packages I'm not sure if I can go with a 14" wheel? or stick to 12" wheel? Basically what I'm asking is for any help? What sizes can I go up to without doing much other than swapping out the wheels. I like the Polaris Wrec and Sixr and for tires I like the looks of the Ripsaws, Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 and ProComp Extreme. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
274 Posts
You can do 14's just have to check offset I am sure. Tires I am sure you can do 26, 27 or 28 no problem. The 800's have been around forever so check out the forums and see what others have already done.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Big horns and Ripsaws are very good all around tires, the Ripsaws have better side walls. I don't have no experience with the Procomp Extremes. Stick with the stock 12" rim size going 14" just shortens your sidewall you don't gain no ground clearance.
25" - 26" high tires keeps me away from upgrading the clutch, axels ...etc.
Stock size is good for me but upgrading to a better quality tire 6-8 ply radials does wonders.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats why I asked. I'm such a noob when it comes to this. I always just rode my stock atv's. So what you're saying is that I could go with a 14" rim and 26" tires and stick to the stock width and I won't have to mess with anything else? Just basically take off the stock set and put on the new set and ride without worrying about changing anything else? ? Thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
The problem I have with 12" Tires is that they never measure true to size. Put a 27" ITP tire in 12"/14" flavors side by side and the 14" version will always measure true to size while the 12" version measures smaller. I also think that on a big quad like the polaris 14" wheels look great :)

I have 28" wheels so plenty of rubber still on the wheel.

I'm very happy with my choice, Sidewalls are super stiff, Handling has improved 10 fold.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
If it were me i would stick with the 12" wheels. It seems to me tires are easier to find and cheaper in 12", as well as the possibility of finding a spare tire or rim if you blow one out or bend one up would be easier. i dont have experience with the tires side by side. but im sure its not a crazy difference.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I would stick with the 12 inch rim also. I hate the 14's that the XP's come with. What type of riding are you planning on doing?

Ronnie

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mostly for hunting on trails and old logging roads. Nothing too extreme like deep water or mudding.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Keep 12". You dont need 14" unless you want the extra stability on tarmac or your brakes are too big.
If you keep the stock rims you will never be scared of getting ugly scratches and stuff. It's easier to fix a bent steel rim also.
All tires measures different. Google it If youre curious.
For you i would recommend bighorns 27". Measures almost 28" with 6 or 8 psi. Much flex, good performance in most terrains except for mud.
You need to space out front wheels with a couple of millimeters. A couple of 10mm washers behind the rim does it.

Good luck.

Edit. A dalton primary clutch spring for about 30 dollars will keep the cvt up to pace.

·
Registered
558 Posts
14" Wheels cost me 80 dollars more in total. They not only look better but handle better. Downfall is you loose some flotation over 12" wheels. I would not want to drive 28"+ tall tires on 12" wheels, I'm sure they would feel like floating marshmallows.

ITP has a lifetime warranty on the wheels.

Spacers are nearly 2/3's the cost of aftermarket wheels so to me it made sense.

If you only plan on running 26-27" All terrain type tires I would recommend 12" wheel as well, especially on the 26" tires there won't be enough sidewall left. 28"+ I will always recommend 14" wheel.

·
Premium Member
10,370 Posts
Chk out maxxis zillas. Ive read they are a good trail tire with a tough side wall and also good in mud holes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm not a roadrunner so I stayed with 12" rims when I put a wheel kit on my '09 800 with a 27" mudlite XL tire. I ride mostly skidder trails and technical stuff but when I need roads I didn't find that combination too bad for handling but rarely ran wide open.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts