Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm brand new to the scene so please bear with me here. I am currently working on my brother-in-laws 2002 sportsman 500. Last week we had to replace the drive belt because the old one shredded apart during a ride. We had to remove the secondary pulley in order the remove the nylon strands which had wrapped themselves around the shaft of the secondary pulley. We reinstalled the pulley and walked the new belt back into place. (making sure we could read the lettering on the belt). We fired it up and took a test run. At first, everything seemed to be in normal operating condition. After a few minutes of light driving, the atv would slowly begin to creep forward while idling in high gear. If we did not accelerate while this was happening the engine would stall. The engine also stalls out when shifting from neutral to high, or neutral to reverse. I am at a loss as to what to do next because all we did was replace the belt. Before the belt broke, the atv never had this problem. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks Guys,

Dan.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
After a few minutes of light driving, the atv would slowly begin to creep forward while idling in high gear. If we did not accelerate while this was happening the engine would stall.
OEM belt or aftermarket?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Many people post here about having problems with aftermarket belts. I have an EPI severe duty and I had to re-shim the secondary and add a spacer to the primary to get it to displace properly.

I am not sure that the belt alone is causing the stall as well :gruebel:

·
Registered
123 Posts
If it did not do it before but does now, odds are it is the belt. Make sure you put any and all washers back in the right spots with the driven clutch that you took off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts