Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 325 trail boss. When my wife was riding last week, it quit engaging in forward, but would engage in reverse. It has always had a little growl when engaging in forward since the day we got it. I tried to adjust the linkage, that did not work. I then took the linkage off and tried to engage the tranny using a crescent wrench on the shift mechanisn to engage it, still wanted to do nothing but grind. I did these things while we were on the trail and now I have it in my garage and wondering what to look at next. I went online and bought a service manualin case I need to pull the tranny. This machine has only 58 hours on it! If any one has previous experiance with this problem please let me know where to start trouble shooting.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1 Posts
First check the linkage to the gearbox. It is unlikely this is the problem, but worth checking. My Polaris 2002 325 had the same problem. I just pulled the gear box out and took it apart. There is a driven gear that engages the forward sprocket gear. My problem is that the engagement teeth have been sheared off of the sprocket gear, ie not allowing the forward engagement action to occur. Most likely the engagement teeth have also been sheared off of the forward sprocket gear on your unit. I am replacing these two gear/sprocket sets and the reverse gear as long as I have it apart. Along with two seals, some C clips the price for the parts is over $400. The labor quoted to me at the Polaris dealer would be between $400-500. You need to have a bearing press to press off the two bearing to get at the gears. Fortunately I can do the work...the parts are way over priced but I have no choice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts