Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK a while back I posted up about the 4x4 issues with my 1993 trail boss 250. Finally warmed up enough here that I felt like getting out there to check it out further.

WHAT I"VE DONE/FOUND: I removed all of the plastic sheathing to the wires and followed them from wiring / circut panal on left side of machine down to the front hubs.

* wires were severed near hubs on both sides.
* One side there is only about a 1/8th of an inch of bare wiring sticking up from where it disappears into hub (probably not enought to make a good new connection.

I figure I should go two things next, but I don't really know how to do the tests:

1*) test the wires coming from elec box to see if appropriate power is coming down when 4x4 button is depressed........ ** how do I do this (i have a meter, but am not very skilled with electrical stuff yet)

2*) test the hubs / 4x4 system by putting power to the wires that are sticking out of hubs ** how do I do this - how much power do i put to them? With the wheels off - what should i look for or whatever to know that the hubs are engaging properly?

AND TWO MORE QUESTIONS PLEASE:

3*) on the side that only has 1/8" of wire remaining out of hub - how complicated and how do I get in there to put in new longer wires?

4) WHY DID THEY USE SUCH SMALL GAUGE WIRES? Would it be a good idea to run new (thicker ? ) wire from the elec box all the way down to the hubs? What spec wire?

·
Registered
77 Posts
You are on the right track. I did the same thing as you are talking. Simple 12v and ground to each of the leads is all you need to engage that magnetic clutch. Mind you that this is very weak. I mean, if you have your hubs torn down don't expect to get sockets to stick to them. If you place that metal ring up where it is suppose to be and you energise the coil, that should stick in place. If that ring looks really worn, the tits are worn or bent, or if that ring itself is bent the AWD won't work. It sounds to me though that you simply have a wiring issue. You might be able to dig down into the silicone they used to seal it up and get enough wire out to solder to. Just make sure if you dig up the silicone where the hub seal goes to that you really clean it well and reseal it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a lot for replying!

I'm sure I'll probably figure this out when i get the manual, but on the side that has almost no wire coming out of the hub - should i be able to take hub apart to get at the 'source' or endpoint of that wire such that I'll have more to work with or be able to make a better connection?

Not sure if that makes sense.

I am tempted to try to just solder it up as best I can to avoid needing to take more stuff apart, but I also am leerly that a hatchet solder job (b/c not enough wire to work with) may only lead to a premature failure again.

thanks again for replying!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would the advantages / disadvantages be to using some thicker gauge wire ? The stock stuff seems ridiculously thin??

·
Registered
483 Posts
Heavier wire shouldn't hurt a thing. You might look at getting another used strut holder and coil assembly from ebay or somewhere. I know of no one that has replaced a coil. The book doesn't cover replacing the coil.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am looking at similar issues... my local parts man says that the new magnaets/wires are 40 bucks a piece but they are pressed in and next to impossible to remove...what have you guys come up with?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
the coils can be replaced, they are around $70.00 apiece if I remember, where the wires are pulled in two on the strut, see if there is just silicone covering the wires where it goes into strut, if so carefully remove silicone and see if you can get enough wire to splice them back together, if you get it spliced, re-silicone the wires, the permatex ultra blue stuff will work, as for replacing coils it is in the polaris manual on how to do it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was able to get enough wire to make a repair on mine. I could see where the silicon is that seals up the strut. Now it's time to test... I rode around the yard and when I got my front end up off the ground them fronts were spinning! I'm gonna put it up on the lift today and see how they do.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts