Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need to install Fox Podium X shocks to my atv.

Polaris 850 Sportsman Touring 2012.

The problem is that Fox says that the 2012 model of Polaris has EPS and because of that the shocks won't fit.

My qusetion is: Have anybody bought these shocks and installd them och a Polaris Touring 2012 with EPS?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi,

I need to install Fox Podium X shocks to my atv.

Polaris 850 Sportsman Touring 2012.

The problem is that Fox says that the 2012 model of Polaris has EPS and because of that the shocks won't fit.

My qusetion is: Have anybody bought these shocks and installd them och a Polaris Touring 2012 with EPS?

I.cant answer about the touring but the regular 850xp they fit no problem. I ordered a new set a few days ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fox said that the EPS would be in the way.

How are the Fox shocks compared to the stock?

How do you ride?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well the fox are fully adjustable. So they can be changed to each different riders weight ect.
I ride in the woods/mountains only. No mud.

·
Registered
301 Posts
What did the quote you for a price?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1180 Dollars for the front.

The same for the back.

Are the rides smoother for you even wheb you are not racing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have anybody tried to install these on a 2012 850 touring model?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Just a little insight...the fox podium utility shocks come in either a piggyback or remote reservoir configuration so I cant see how the shocks would interfere with the EPS. But if Fox says it wont fit, then i guess it wont...confusing

EDIT: I just looked at the application chart of Fox's website and it shows the shocks available for the sportsman 850 are piggyback only....

·
Registered
216 Posts
I talked to Fox on two separate occasions about installing the Podium X on my 2011 XP EPS and all I could get out of the guy was that they had some problems with fit on 2012 EPS models.

Then I talked to Elka and the guy was much more knowledgable. The Elka Stage 4's do come with the remote reservoir.

My Elka's will be here Friday and installation is set for Saturday.

I will do a full write up with pictures in the next week or so.

Also, big thanks to michael1871 for giving me some sound advice about the Elkas.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I talked to Fox on two separate occasions about installing the Podium X on my 2011 XP EPS and all I could get out of the guy was that they had some problems with fit on 2012 EPS models.

Then I talked to Elka and the guy was much more knowledgable. The Elka Stage 4's do come with the remote reservoir.

My Elka's will be here Friday and installation is set for Saturday.

I will do a full write up with pictures in the next week or so.

Also, big thanks to michael1871 for giving me some sound advice about the Elkas.
The guy you talked to on the Fox shocks is an idiot. Looking forward to your Elka install. Should take you around 4 or 5 hours to do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Chopps,

I'm looking forward to your review of the Elka shox on your Polaris 2011 XP EPS.

Please, if you post the review somewhere else then add a link to this thread :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Will Do!

The stock shocks/springs that came on the LE are pretty, but total Crap. I've got the springs on the front set to the stiffest setting and still bottom out with very little effort. The rears are better in that respect, but rebound is jerky. The spring is doing all of the work.

Can't wait for Saturday :elefant:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
So let me get this right, you guys are spending $2K for a more plush ride than what these already have? Or are you going for more stiff ride? and what does that really get you? I stuck with Polaris over the other brands mainly based on the comfortable ride they have off the shelf. I am not bashing, just trying to see what the big deal is on different shocks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
So let me get this right, you guys are spending $2K for a more plush ride than what these already have? Or are you going for more stiff ride? and what does that really get you? I stuck with Polaris over the other brands mainly based on the comfortable ride they have off the shelf. I am not bashing, just trying to see what the big deal is on different shocks.
I spent 1100 and sold my stock shocks for 200. I'm all in for 900. The performance on the trails is incomparable.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I spent 1100 and sold my stock shocks for 200. I'm all in for 900. The performance on the trails is incomparable.
Ok I can see that, I thought it was $1100 for the front and $1100 for the back, which seems super steep for a ride enhancement, even $900 is about 10% of the cost of the machine.. I will have to get on one of those Scrambler 850's with the fox shocks to understand, or maybe I shouldn't cuz then I would want them, LOL!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah, it's still not cheap. The shocks I got are from the scrambler 850. Im telling you once you ride it there's no going back. The rebound from my suspension now is AWESOME

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well I got of bit of bad news. The fronts shocks that were sent to me were fitted wrong. In other words if had mounted them the adjustment on the reservoir would have been facing into the bike. If the left and right were the same there wouldn't be a problem, but the right has a two inch longer braided steel hose to the reservoir to get around the radiator overflow.

The rears went on without a glitch. I call Elka Monday morning and see what they will do. I've got a week long out of town ride in two weeks!

Oh well, it happens - this Bud sure would be alot better if I were looking at whole bike :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
How much for the Elkas? I'd just like some for the rear on my 2010 xp touring with eps. The eps part is not important for the rear but I thought I'd just throw that in. Does the 2012 take a different rear shock than the 2010?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts