Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ride is an 04 Sportsman 500. I tried to wire a fan switch in so that I can run the rad fan all the time. I did this with my Ranger 400 and it worked awesome. Engine temps never get over 175 regardless of type of riding or ambient temps. When I turn on the fan switch (which is tied in to the main power wire from the power distrubution box), The fan comes on but the engine hot light and check engine light both start flashing. So when the fan is manually on I loose my only indication of how hot the engine is. How can I turn the fan on and keep the warning indicators off?

·
Registered
173 Posts
The ride is an 04 Sportsman 500. I tried to wire a fan switch in so that I can run the rad fan all the time. I did this with my Ranger 400 and it worked awesome. Engine temps never get over 175 regardless of type of riding or ambient temps. When I turn on the fan switch (which is tied in to the main power wire from the power distrubution box), The fan comes on but the engine hot light and check engine light both start flashing. So when the fan is manually on I loose my only indication of how hot the engine is. How can I turn the fan on and keep the warning indicators off?
Not sure about this but I wondered if you want to run your fan manually maybe it is possible to wire in an actual temp gauge instead of relying on flashing lights?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eventually it will get a rad relocate and a temp gauge as well. But I like having a manual switch. It maintains a certain temp instead of letting the temp get close to the danger zone before kicking in to try and bring it back down. Another down side of the flashing warning lights is that the cluster only shows the warning, no engine hours, no tach, no mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m having the exact same problem with a bike we just purchased for my son... have you found a solution since your original posted the problem?

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
You have an early production (built before July 1, 2003) or late production (built after July 1, 2003) - the fan control is simply a thermistor in the lower right of the radiator on the early production and it is a fan control module on the later production - still only two wires to the fan, but the wiring is different.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Never mind - I just found your other post - completely different machine, only the symptoms are similar - wiring is just cobbled in another way.

Go look at your duplicate post that was not attached to a 7 year old post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts