Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a 2013 sportsman 500 HO with about 1800km on it. I keep going though belts(3 already), i want to check the clutch alignment before i put a new one on. So i downloaded the service manual for the 2012 Sportsman's it says it requires a clutch alignment tool part PA-49011 jut wondering if anyone had the spec/template so i could make this or know how to check the clutches as i hate replacing belts. Any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just eyeball the belt. Making sure it is riding in the center of the clutch. Be sure to check your engine mounts.

·
11,302 Posts
The front one is usually the culprit if it is an engine mount. It can break loose from the rubber part or move slightly in the slotted bolt hole.
More common is the need to add or remove shims from behind the secondary clutch to fine tune belt alignment. Run the machine with the belt cover removed and in neutral and rev it up a few times then let it idle. Get behind it to eyeball if the belt is running in the center of the primary. If it appears to be running against the inside, add a shim and try again. Do the opposite if running against the outside. Trial and error till you get it right.
If it is perfect, the secondary won't even turn with the machine idling in neutral....BUT...that's often very hard or nearly impossible to achieve on many machines. When you have it running centered in the drive clutch it'll barely turn the driven and will shift like butta.
THIS IS ALL ASSUMING YOU HAVE THE CORRECT BELT AND THERE CAN BE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BELTS EVEN WHEN THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE IDENTICAL.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh yeah, a new belt will often need to break in a little to loosen up and act right but as long as it runs centered you should be good within a few running hours.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good morning

So i took off all the plastic and removed the belt cover to find a hole as in the picture. Just wondering what would have cause such a hole. Second i know i require a belt but theirs a big chuck taking out of it and no writing on the belt. and i pulled the secondary clutch of and there was three washer behind it. i know every machine is different but on average how many washer should be behind it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
So i took off all the plastic and removed the belt cover to find a hole as in the picture. Just wondering what would have cause such a hole. Second i know i require a belt but theirs a big chuck taking out of it and no writing on the belt. and i pulled the secondary clutch of and there was three washer behind it. i know every machine is different but on average how many washer should be behind it.
Wow.... The washers (spacers) may vary greatly from one machine to the next. But I think when I had my secondary off the 400, it had 3-4. As for the hole, I'd venture to say it was a misalignment from the last belt install. Did it seem like the cover was on correctly when you took it off? Another cause could be that as the belt was wearing / stretching and started coming "unglued" as pictured.... it rubbed on the cover.

I'd think you could repair that cover with a little epoxy of some type.... or it's at least worth a try!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks i really appreciate the help. I'll try some epoxy and get a new belt and try it again hopefully it will last longer this time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Like dyna105 said, be sure you check motor mounts. I had the front one go once and makes your bike act really weird. Shifting was really tough as well.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Like dyna105 said, be sure you check motor mounts. I had the front one go once and makes your bike act really weird. Shifting was really tough as well.
Very good point...... usually it's the front mount.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I really appreciate all the help. I was out tonight to looked further and when i ran the bike, i notice when i gave it throttle the engine would shift towards the clutch side. When i looked at the engine mounts i could see the one closest to the clutch was moving or compressing can't tell. Just wondering if it hard to replace.

·
Registered
96 Posts
easy fix. if i remember right you have to take one of the engine mount bolts off and pivot the mount up and out of the way and i think i slid a piece of pipe under the motor and lifted it up and slid a block of wood to hold it there.Oh ya, first thing i did was take the belt off:) Once i got the new one in i centered it where it used to be according to the marks left on the underside of the mount. Hope this is clear as mud.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts