Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I am in need of a couple of opinions. I have a 2011 850 xp Sportsman and I am having some trouble with it wanting to shift. It gets really hard to shift out of low at times to. And if I rock the wheeler back and fowards it seems to shift a little easier. I talked to thor on the phone and he thinks its the ebs fused to the primary but when I mentioned it to my Polaris dealer they seem to think my clutches need to be adjusted and they told me they could fix it for 89.99 what should I do. And does any one know the best way to try and figure out what might be wrong with it by watching the primary or belt with that cover off, or some things i can look for it to do with that cover off. And it started having this problem one night when i barely had gotten the belt wet. but it wasnt bad wet at all. And I have already changed the transmission fluid and looked at the belt. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the clutches myself because if a dealer only charges 89.00 to do it, it really cant be that hard. Thank you in advance for any advice you have.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
It takes a special tool ,pay the $90.00. My .02.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not sure what your dealer means by "adjusting" your clutch. You can "align" the clutches. You can clean your clutches and inspect them for wear. I would think you more than likely have a linkage problem. You might want to try and adjust that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had the same problem after my ride 2 weeks ago. The next time I went out and rode it never was an issue. I still brought it back to the dealer to have them look at it, waiting to hear back any day now on what they fixed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you shim these clutches on this year model giving the belt more room between the primary?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Can you take a picture of the belt with the cover off. It's most likely the belt is riding on the inside sheave. (engine side) You can adjust the motor position OR add or remove shims behind the secondary. Some secondaries you can shim the pulleys also. Take a picture if you can.

Kevin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try to get some pictures up as soon as I get a chance it might be tomorrow before I can get time to take it apart again.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
try just changing the belt, my sons 850 started creeping, changed the belt and its fine, hyis has like 3500 miles onit, old belt looked ok

1 - 8 of 8 Posts