Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ATV began stalling and backfired a couple of times. I added some dry gas to the tank and started it up. It idled for close to 15 minutes, occassionally running up the rpms, without a problem. However, when I put it in gear. the check engine symbol comes on and stalls. It did this several times until I gave up.

Vito

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
what year and does it have fuel injection??

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Welcome,
First off, I would remove the fuel in the tank, change out the filter and plug(s). Then refill with fresh good fuel spiked with a healthy dose of Sea Foam. Crazyhorse has good advice, checking voltages is important as even a small drop in voltage (Esp in EFI/computer controlled rigs) can cause issues...

CW

·
Registered
101 Posts
bring it to the shop and be done with it . . I spent a week chasing a similar problem, I gave up ..

Good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
wondering if you made any progress with your 2006? It's funny because I just bought an older 2001 and it had sat for three years w/a broken shifter and linkage.. got it home cleaned out the mikuni BST40 had to ramove the starter and dis-assemble it clean it out so the brushes would make contact finished that monted a new shifter and rods and got them all adjusted, got it running, and on it's maiden voyage my 2006 HO which I had the wife following me on in case I broke down started sputtering and lost power then came back then lost it then wouldn't idle then would so the trip was cut short. Now I'm about to tare into the 2006. or at least replace the fuel filter etc. any advice? I am used to regular automobile efi but not atv efi so my experience could be a help or a hinderence. on the upside the 2001 test run went quite well for the 50 mile ride we took. has a heavier engine break than the 2006 however does anyone know if that's normal? thanks Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
wondering if you made any progress with your 2006? It's funny because I just bought an older 2001 and it had sat for three years w/a broken shifter and linkage.. got it home cleaned out the mikuni BST40 had to ramove the starter and dis-assemble it clean it out so the brushes would make contact finished that monted a new shifter and rods and got them all adjusted, got it running, and on it's maiden voyage my 2006 HO which I had the wife following me on in case I broke down started sputtering and lost power then came back then lost it then wouldn't idle then would so the trip was cut short. Now I'm about to tare into the 2006. or at least replace the fuel filter etc. any advice? I am used to regular automobile efi but not atv efi so my experience could be a help or a hinderence. on the upside the 2001 test run went quite well for the 50 mile ride we took. has a heavier engine break than the 2006 however does anyone know if that's normal? thanks Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
fixed sputtering issue

Well I found some stuff that might help out you all with sputtering issues. I was working on my 2006 500 HO as it started to sputter and wasn't idling correctly. I found as I looked into it that the boot from the air box to the throttle body was cracked. It was cracked right at the throttle body. I think what was happening to me any way was I would suck water here and that's why it didn't do it all the time until the last trip. Further investigation I found that this caused a sort of fouling ( for lack of a better term ) of what they call the IAC ( idle air control ) on a car's fuel injection system. Not sure if it's idle air control on ATVS or Idle speed control?? Anyway I removed it, just three phillips screws and cleaned it out real good with carb cleaner. Both the IAC itself as well as the throttle body where it goes. Then I sprayed some WD 40 into the IAC's plunger to allow some lube for it. I re-installed that and got back all power/performance/ and idling. It was like a new bike!!! I don't know if this helps but I hope so.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Don't want to sound stupid but down here in the south the gas here is wet. What is dry gas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dry gas is usually isopropyl alcohol. Basically it removes water. It's not a stupid question not knowing doesn't make one stupid. Not knowing and acting like you do, now that makes one stupid. The ethonol in gas issue is a bad one for small engines. I have found good luck with using dry gas with my bike the older 2001 sportsman 500 HO anyway. The ethonol doesn't seem to effect the newer fuel injected bike. Last I put in Marine stable every year at the end of the season. I use it in my two Sportsmans as well as my two John deere tractors when I get them home from the hay fields. The regular Stable product doesn't seem to work as well. Keep in mind if your having idle issues, stalling, backfiring and messed up power for the first 1/8 to 1/4 throttle then you should pull out your carb and check the pilot jet. Since this jet is used for low end idle and bottom throttle it has the worlds smallest opening in it. You couldn't push a sewing needle through it to clean it, it's that small!! Not that you should try. Anyway it doesn't take much to plug that baby. This will cause bad rough idle or no idle. It will also cause backfiring or popping esp on de-acceleration like when your cruising and hit a main road and let off the gas and when it tries to come back to idle pop pop pop. The pilot screw itself is located right next to the float bowl and after you pull the carb, take out and replace all the jets, the needle and seat ( you might as well while it's apart ) you should remove the pilot screw replace the washers etc with it. When you put the screw back in slowly turn it till you just feel it stop GENTLY don't treat it like your woman when she's ready to go!!! Then back it out two turns. Put the carb back in the bike. start the bike. now you'll have to do the final pilot adjustment. You'll need a small reg tip screwdriver tip. I use the one that goes in my screw gun. Like a drywall screw tip only reg not Phillips. Once the bike has run for a few moments, turn the pilot screw counter clockwise (loosen it) slowly counting turns. It will idle up real high. Keep going till peak idle. then it will start to die. Now turn it back (tighten it ) 1/2 of the turns you just made. it should be set to go. Believe me it sounds more complicated then it actually is you can do this. Hope it helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts