Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1997 sportsman 500 4x4. i tore up one of the rear drive shafts last year (broke the ujoint and broke off 1 of the yokes, i replaced the entire shaft and also had a front cv boot go bad. Anyway, fixed the front boot (helped a lot because that wheel would engage on its own and make steering a real [email protected]#) but now i have a new problem. The back of it jerks all over the place when i drive it. I jacked it up and this is what it is doing: the rear tire with the old drive shaft spins at a nice even speed, the tire with the shaft i replaced does about a 3/4 turn, stops for a sec then goes again (it is an even pattern of 3/4 spin, stop, 3/4 spin, ect). I have a clymer manual but it does seem like there is a differential lock for my machine. I know i'm missing something because this unridable. Thanks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I bet the CV came apart or broke. If the ball bearing fell out of the cup and into the boot it could cause that to happen. Pull the axle and remove the inner boot. Make sure the CV is together and all balls are where they belong. ... in the wife's mouth lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok, found the problem, after i cleaned all the grease and crud out, it looks like when the old shaft went bad it gouged up the rear knuckle bearing carrier. there is a bur in there and it looks like it is keeping the outside shaft from seating properly. I'm going to try to grind it out and see if that fixes it. I swapped the carrier to the other side and the problem moved with it. So the left side was the bad one but i can only find a used 1 for the right side. It seemed to work when i switched from one side to the other but polaris gives them different part numbers. I found a used right side for $15 but can only find new left sides that are @ $100. I can't see a difference between the 2. any ideas? by the way, the axel is not a cv type, u joints on both ends. thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yeah what ^ he ^ said... lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts