Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was on my scrambler yesterday and broke the chain. somehow it got wrapped around the sprocket and wedged into the case. i really dont know what to do at this point, i tried takin the whole sprocket off with no luck i cant pry the chain out and im stuck now so please help! another question is when i put it in reverse before the chain broke it would sound like it was boggin down real bad and it wouldnt move but it runs great in forward. anyone got any ideas about that?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Going to have to disassemble to prevent further damage

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Pictures!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Holy crap........that is bad. Access to a torch?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
any way to get a hold of the longer section of chain? I was always tought, if you get stuck the easiest way to get unstuck is to go out the way you came in. So I would be trying to back the chain out. before going to more destructive methods.

The problem I see with cutting the chain of is all you're doing is cutting out the stuff that isn't jammed in. and making the area that you could attach to smaller. If it were a bearing you could do it easy, but thats not bound up between two surfaces.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I could get ahold of one but Im worried about hurting the case
The thought would be to heat more than cut.
Looks like there are a few, possibly better, ideas as well.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
unfortunately, something is going to have to give. and in this case, the case is the most likely to do so. If you're lucky you'll just scrape some of the casing off. "clearancing" it for the next time the chain brakes. but if you're not, the damage was already done before you started to pull the chain out. and the crack was started when you crammed the chain into the gap.

Personally, I'd try to find a way to lock the quad down so that it can't move back and use a come along or winch or something to try to pull the chain out. You don't have to worry about the tires being off the ground because they aren't connected to the chain right now anyway. Either back the quad up to a couple posts or a door jam or something, or chain the front to something like a tree to keep it from getting dragged.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
slow and steady don't build up a bunch of force for no reason. you don't want it launching 5 lbs of chain at your head.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Try using a large pair of channel-locks or a pipe wrench and turn the output shaft backwards. As for the reverse issue, it's probably the rev limiter. When your in reverse power is reduced for safety. The "Override" button on the left hand control should restore full power when needed. The safety feature is designed to help keep you from throwing yourself over the handlebars if you were to nail it thinking you were in forward. It also allows 4wd while in reverse.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the tips. ill try the channel-lock thing tomorrow. and i didnt think about that being the problem with the reverse!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i got the chain out! I put it in reverse and hit the override button and backed it out. As I was looking after I got it out there's a 2 inch long by .5 inch wide hole in my gearbox case and then a long crack in it on the right side

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377021856.317887.jpg

That's the crack and I couldn't get a picture of the actual hole. I've already looked at gearboxes and they are several hundred dollars. Anybody got an idea where I could get a cheap one? Or if I could find a cheap manual transmisson/gearbox could I use one of those? I'm not really experienced in this yet so that's I'm asking all the questions. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
If you know anyone thats a good welder they may be able to patch it for you. can't tell you if it will be cheaper than getting a new case or not. but if you know someone thats willing to help you out for little to not cost it may be the best way to go.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm pretty sure those cases are made from low quality "Pot" metal, don't think it can be welded?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
It's not "pot metal" It's cast aluminium. It can be welded, it's just harder to do and can be prone to cracking if done incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts